Visa issuance and administration - Visa issuance in US counsulate in India

Posted on Monday, February 6th, 2012 at 9:19pm CST by cf519cf2

Product: Visa Facilitation Services - Mumbai Branch

Company: Visa issuance and administration

Location: Tirupati Apartments, Bhulabhai Desai Road, Opp. Mahalakshmi Temple, Mumbai - 400026
Mumbai, Ma, 400026, IN

URL: https://www.vfs-usa.co.in/

I had taken an online appointment for an H1-B visa stamping with VFS, Mumbai for Nov 30th, 2011. As per the regulation issued by VFS I went to their Mahalaxmi branch on Nov 25th, 2011 to submit my documents 3 working days prior to the actual appointment.

On the day of submission after a considerable long waiting period I was told that my appointment is rejected due to the below mentioned reasons -

1. The photograph I was carrying did not match their acceptance criteria. This particular photograph was ACCEPTED by the US consulate website when I had filled the form online. To be noted - the photograph VFS REJECTED is the one now appearing on my stamped and approved visa. The VFS staff informed me that for Rs 350/- I could have a photograph taken at their office which I refused.

2. The list of instructions online asked us to carry one photocopy of the appointment letter during document submission. The VFS staff however asked for 2 photocopies and informed that for a certain charge we could have a copy taken at their office itself. The additional copy was simply to give back as an acknowledgment/receipt and was NOT for an actual visa document submission.

3. The form that I filled online asked us "Are you applying for the same class of visa which is currently valid or has expired within the past 12 months? "..since my current visa was H1-B at the time of filling the form I replied saying " Yes". No explanation was given on that question and it was left on the candidate to presume. The rejection of the appointment was based on a completely ambiguous question.

After rejecting my Nov 30th appointment, the staff informed me that my account will be blocked for 10 days and I would be able to reactivate it for Rs 180/- On Dec 5th 2011. The document submission process would be repeated and any appointments taken would be as per availability WITH NO PREFERENCE GIVEN. No explanation was provided as to why it would take 10 days to reactivate and reschedule the appointment.

I finally got my appointment for Dec 9th 2011, 15 days after my first visit to VFS. I had a 3.5 week vacation with multiple plans which I had to cancel in order to get my visa stamped. Starting from my security personnel to the office staff, everyone was unaccommodating and rude. No one had proper knowledge on anything and I was never given an explanation for anything.