JD Richardson - MISmanagement Company Wrongly Accuses Homeowners

Posted on Wednesday, April 25th, 2012 at 11:58pm CDT by Alyse R S.

Product: Property Management Company

Company: JD Richardson

Location: 2550 Fifth Avenue
San Diego, CA, 92115, US

URL: http://www.jdrichardson.net/

I came out to my garage one morning and saw that it was damaged, a few inches from the bottom, smashed in. I contacted my complex's property management company, JD Richardson, who after about 3 weeks painted over it during our condo re-painting project, without doing the repair. Eventually, when I pressed them for the repair yet again, they had the nerve to say it is their (board, association, painting/construction company) opinion that I damaged it with my car and that the association would therefore not pay for it and would instead charge me $350 if I choose to have the association repair it. Somehow "common area" property has become MY responsibility as a result of my bringing damage THAT I DID NOT CAUSE to their attention! Outrageously unprofessional behavior.

Alyse R S., 2012-05-07, 04:23PM CDT

Update: May 8, 2012: The property management now is backpedaling their original claim that they were part of the decision that I caused the damage to my garage door and that I am therefore responsible for a $350 charge if I choose to repair it (as opposed to the repair coming out of our Common Area property repair funds).

The property management company's original email stated: "After the Board's, Empire's and my inspection, we are all in agreement that this damage was not done by a skateboard as originally claimed, but it is of all our opinions that this damage was caused by your vehicle and that the responsibility lies with the unit owner to repair." In that original e-mail they did not give me any option to make my case that I did not cause the damage, although I do not believe I should be "guilty until proven innocent" anyway.

Now, on May 5, the property management company says they were merely carrying out the Board's decision, rather than their opinion carrying any weight, saying "Just as a reminder that we act as an agent for the Board of Directors and do not make decisions on their behalf."

If the property management company has zero say in who will pay for a repair, they should not say that they do have a say in it, as I had understandably gotten inferred by their first e-mail.

Alyse R S., 2012-05-07, 04:26PM CDT

Now, on May 8, the property management company says they were merely carrying out the Board's decision, rather than their opinion carrying any weight, saying "Just as a reminder that we act as an agent for the Board of Directors and do not make decisions on their behalf."

If the property management company has zero say in who will pay for a repair, they should not say that they do have a say in it, as I had understandably inferred by their first e-mail.