UPS - UPS plays Grinch to 85 Year Old Woman

Posted on Monday, December 24th, 2012 at 9:32pm CST by 692a4d75

Company: UPS

Location: DES MOINES, IA, US

Category: Delivery, Moving Services, Storage

Thanks to a UPS driver who entered bad weather as his/her excuse for not delivering packages scheduled for delivery by 8 p.m. Christmas Eve, my 85-year old mother did not get her main Christmas present from me on Christmas Day and did not have her main Christmas present for my sister on Christmas Day. Both packages, out for UPS delivery as of 8:49 a.m. on Christmas Eve Day, with scheduled delivery by 8 p.m. the same day, were returned to the UPS store 49 minutes early at 7:11 p.m. with a notation ?Delay in delivery due to weather or natural disaster ?. The bad weather was that it was a cold Christmas Eve with a few spots here and there with snow or small icy patches left over from true adverse weather ? a blizzard - that had occurred four days prior to Christmas Day. The packages UPS didn?t deliver contained digital devices and were sent to my mother?s house since she is retired and I work full time and did not want the devices sitting out in the cold until I got off of work. The ?bad weather? did not prevent UPS from delivering a couple of packages (containing items that could safely sit outside) to my house, 10 minutes away from my mother?s, earlier that same day. When I contacted UPS and spoke to a manager prior to the 8 p.m. scheduled delivery time, I explained that my mother had left her front door open and spent most of the day in an uncomfortable chair by the open door so she could bring the packages in out of the cold as soon as they were delivered. The UPS manager contacted the local UPS center to see if they could still deliver the package on Christmas Eve, per the original schedule. When the local UPS center was unwilling to send someone out with the packages so they could be received on the scheduled date, I volunteered to drive to the store ? approximately 20 minutes away - to pick the packages up. The local UPS center indicated that none of the packages returned on the trucks were going to be rescanned that night ? implying my digital devices would be sitting in cold trucks until the day after Christmas when they would be delivered. Apparently the reference to the package being rescanned at 7:11 p.m. was as inaccurate as the excuse the driver used for not doing their job and delivering the packages. As an FYI, the items were ordered with two day shipping, once I was finally given the Christmas lists I had been asking for since the beginning of November. Shipping was delayed because of the actual bad weather; delivery, despite the excuse, was not. Merry Christmas, UPS! I don?t plan on using UPS for anything I need to send in the future, and if given a choice of UPS or any other delivery service for items I purchase, plan on choosing a different company, one that understands what service is.