Century Link - They don't care...

Posted on Wednesday, December 19th, 2012 at 11:45pm CST by AL

Company: Century Link

Category: Internet Services

Absolute Gestapo of a customer service!

The Telephone Assistance Program lost my renewal letter and Century Link sent me a bigger bill. When I called, they said they don't communicate with that government agency and it's pretty much my problem. They treated me as a needy bum, made constant references to "welfare" and "food stamps" and talked to me with increasingly patronizing tone of voice. For about 1.5 years I've been paying them $71($64+ some taxes) for phone and DSL; now without Telephone Assistance it's gonna be $88. They said they will send me another application, but I'll still have to pay all those extra fees and taxes while I'm not getting a break from the government. A good customer service would see this situation as OUR problem, not YOUR problem.

Still, I wouldn't be as bothered by it as I am if not for the fact that they are so rude! It's a monopoly for them where I live (Bloomington, MN) and nothing good comes out of monopoly - except for the company that has no competitors. Cable is way expensive, and I can't bundle - I'm in a condo bulk account TV-wise. The only other choice is to cancel my land line and DSL and switch to wireless 4g smart phone plan. This way I'll have all my phone needs and internet access. And, more importantly, drop Century Link like a crusty turd it is. Some of my friends have already done that.

I have a strong suspicion, when I call and ask them to disconnect me, they'll start kissing my butt as hard as they did when they signed me up for premium services. Too bad, because by then I'll already make up my mind.

I hope the same thing that happened to newspapers and record industry is beginning to happen to land line telephone providers. Only that will make them value each and every customer.