Home Depot - Home Depot scammed me

Posted on Friday, October 26th, 2012 at 12:52pm CDT by Justin L.

Product: Roof replacement

Company: Home Depot

Location: 2455 Paces Ferry Rd SE
ATLANTA, GA, 30339, US

URL: www.homedepot.com

Category: Home, Garden

I purchased a roof for my home from Home Depot in April 2011 and have been fighting since to have it properly installed. I paid with my Home Depot credit card. During one of my many calls to the customer service department, I was asked if I wanted to dispute the charge. I agreed it was worth disputing and that my roof (still to this day) is not satisfactorily installed. The dispute was opened on May 9th, 2012.

The dispute was finalized in my favor and $12,110.00 was provisionally credited to my account on September 9th, 2012 with a note that if further ?significant evidence? was found that the amount would be reapplied to my account. I called the customer service and asked what ?significant evidence? would entail and how much more investigation would there be. I asked these questions as $12,110.00 is a lot of money and with the initial letter opening the dispute claimed that the initial investigation could take up to 60 days, and by the time I received the letter stating that the charge had been reversed was 128 days, double what was quoted.

I was told that it was closed and no further investigation would be completed. However, around October 1st, 2012 I received a phone call from the Phoenix office asking if someone could come down and inspect the roof and make sure that everything was taken care of. On October 6th, 2012 a gentleman came down to my house and instead of getting out a ladder to get on the roof, he pulled out some paperwork. He explained that this form was a copy of a previous form that I had signed and that the person who had the form in Atlanta ?had died? and because they ?had died, no one can find the paperwork that was originally signed?.

Reviewing the paperwork, I noted that the form was a Customer Service Order form and stated that the work to be completed was to fix some exposed nails, torn shingles, and repaint the metal trims and that those specific items were completed. It also states that the balance remaining was $0.00.

With the suspicious circumstances surrounding this, I asked the gentleman if this had anything to do with the disputed charge. I was told that it had nothing to do with the charges and that it was only replacing a lost form. I reluctantly signed the form, the gentleman never did go on top of the roof and he left. Several weeks later I received a letter dated October 18th stating that the $12,110.00 has been reapplied to my account and that ?Additional information has been received that provided significant evidence for the amount to be reapplied to your account?. Attached to the letter was a faxed copy of the form I signed on October 6th, 2012.

This was clearly a scam to trick me into signing a form stating that the roof had be satisfactorily completed in an attempt to defraud me of the amount that was returned to me. This is obviously a bait-and-switch, which is an illegal practice in the United States. I am writing for corrective action in returning the credit of $12,110.00 back to my account. Home Depot cheated me out of a properly installed roof, and then scammed me into paying for it after the disputed charges were dropped from my account.

Permanently re-credit the $12,110 back to my account, zeroing my balance.

Business Reply  Sheronda G., 2012-10-26, 01:39PM CDT

Hi Justin, my name is Sheronda and I?m with Home Depot Customer Care. Please email me your contact information, along with supporting documents to [email protected] and I?ll look into this for you immediately.

Sheronda