San Leandro Ford Store - Planned obsolesce??

Posted on Thursday, August 2nd, 2012 at 4:14pm CDT by cf464c9e

Product: Escape Hybrid 2006

Company: San Leandro Ford Store

Location: 1111 Marina Blvd San Leandro, CA 94577
SAN LEANDRO, CA, US

Category: Cars, Motorcycles, Boats, Vehicles

I am in shock. We bought an Escape Hybrid new from the San Leandro, CA Ford Store in 2006. We bought the maintenance contract so all the work that has ever been done on the SUV was done at the dealer. We bought a new Escape Hybrid in 2010 and transferred ownership of the 2006 - and the balance of the maintenance contract - to our adult son. It seems the 2006 isn't running right due to an issue with the battery harness; it needs the updated one. The Ford Store said the car would be ready in 2 days. Well they have had the car for a week now saying the part needed to be ordered, the part arrived, the part didn't arrive, the vendor didn't have anymore, there were none to be had nationwide. Once my husband got involved, the part was found - but when they pulled the battery, they found it already HAD the new harness. It appears that it might still be the harness but they can't tell until they put the new harness on - or it might be some other part. What is shocking is that the Service Manager at the San Leandro Ford Store told my husband that Ford does not make parts for a 2006 Escape Hybrid anymore - that it is too old! WHAT!??? Has Ford decided that a 6 year old car is too OLD to fix??? If that is the case, we, and anyone else who appreciates quality, will never buy another Ford! And the bottom line is, even if they can figure out what is wrong with the 2006 Escape, it may not be fixable because Ford doesn't make the parts anymore!

There is WAY more to the story like people not returning calls and hanging up on my son, but I don't have the time to go into all that.

Robert Allyn L., 2012-08-03, 09:24AM CDT

2006 Model year is now Seven or more years old and last I checked the Fedral law requires The big manufacturers to provide 100% of parts for their cars for seven years.

And that sucks big time

What you need to do is check the build date and what the law actually is.

The build date on the car is on the VIN stacker on the drivers door jam.