Target Corporation - Target Customer Service Scam

Company: Target Corporation

Location: 1000 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis, MN, 55403, US

URL: http://target.com/

I ordered a dinnerware set from Target.com. The merchandise arrived shattered. Online Customer Service was supposedly "down" so I was forced to call Customer Service. During the entire experience I had to make 4 calls to Target where wait times lasted from 1 to 2 1/2 hours. On the first call I was told I could not arrange a return and exchange by delivery but I had to return the merchandise to a store. This despite the fact that we order online to avoid having to go to a store. I called ahead sensing that the store might raise objections. Indeed the store customer service said that for online orders I had to get an online return approval which I would then bring to the store. This occasioned my second call to customer service (2 hr. hold time) who said the store was misinformed and agreed to confirm to the store return dept that I did not need an online return authorization. (One bright spot) I returned the merchandise to the store who gave me a Target credit so I could re-order the merchandise. I immediately placed the order but this time it did not ship for 2 weeks. The second set of dishes arrived shattered. Third phone call (2 1/2 hour hold time). Second trip to the store where all I could do was select in store merchandise as a replacement. Because I needed dinnerware I selected a set I didn't really like. These items were cheaper than the original set but Target refused to give me a cash refund on the remainder of my Target credit. The first customer service operator also promised me a $15 Gift Certificate "for my trouble." Later she tried to negotiate it down to $10. When I demurred she reluctantly agreed to $15.00. Needless to say I never got the $15.00 Gift Certificate and I'm stuck with inferior dinnerware and a Target credit on the unused portion of my refund.