AT&T - AT&T Uverse - My continuing Saga of Disappointment and Frustration

Product: U-Verse

Company: AT&T

URL: http://www.att.com/shop/u-verse/index.jsp

My AT&T Saga - the Continuing Story

Following is a very long timeline explaining my ordeal with AT&T.

All I wanted to do was move into a new house some five miles from my old apartment. After two and a half months of dealing with AT&T, you would think I tried to move my U-verse service to the moon.

Mid June - After several misdirected calls, several of which were routed continuously to the business division regardless of my telling the representative that I was calling about a personal account, I finally get through to the right people to move my uverse service to a new address on 6/30/11. I request a new phone number as my old one gets calls all hours for a defunct auto repair shop. Installation date confirmed as 6/30/11 that day on the phone.

6/30/11 - No communication from AT&T and no installation tech at new address. Call placed to AT&T yields, after several hours on the phone, a final response of "We are not sure exactly why this problem is happening though we know it is one that consistently happens when scheduling moving of service. Someone will call you tomorrow with a course of action to resolve."

6/31/11 - no call from AT&T

7/1/11 - Called At&T back and after spending an hour and a half on the phone, no forward motion is made on the issue except another statement of "We will call you back tomorrow MORNING to discuss resolution."

7/2/11 morning - no call from At&t so I called back to be told, "No one should be telling you they will call you back the next day if they cannot commit to it." I am told again that they are working on a resolution.

7/3/11-7/6/11 - rinse and repeat process

7/8/11 - After 10 hours on the phone over the course of one week, the response is that the order is completely messed up and "hanging in limbo" with no apparent way to correct it. I make the suggestion that perhaps they should just cancel my old service and create a whole new order which is met with a skeptical response of "I guess we could do that, but you will lose your home telephone number", which of course makes me giggle hysterically as that was one of the things I initially requested - a new telephone number. New order is set up and after much discussion and hair pulling on my part, an installation date of July 25th is set upon (note that this is almost a month after I should have had service installed at the new house). I believe it was some time at this point that a credit was issued against my account for $100 because of the problems I had dealt with.

7/25/11 - AT&T tech is an absolute joy who stays for five hours to ensure that everything is set up properly. Woohoo! Light at the end of the tunnel? Just a glimmer...

I receive no billing or communications on the old account after this point.

Around the beginning of September - I start getting calls from AT&T to my cell phone. I answer three "Please hold for an operator" calls. The first time, I am routed to a woman who speaks so little English that it takes several minutes for her to understand what my name is and how to spell it. She says that someone is trying to install service at the apartment I use to live in and that they can't do it because there is still service in my name at the apartment. Which is funny since my service should have been disconnected at that location on 6/30/11. She says she will take care of it and we part ways.

Later that same day, I get another one of these automated calls "Please hold for an operator." I get another person who speaks little English. This guy doesn't even have a clue why I was called. He sees no problem with my account and sees no flags on the account to show why I was called. I finally have to tell him that after a half hour on the phone with him, I have a meeting I have to go into as I am at work.

Because I am not confident in AT&T at this point, I later call AT&T uverse customer service in the USA.

The first person I speak with says that they can cancel the account and then I will have to call back when I get my final bill to dispute the charges for anything after 6/30/11. I tell him that is unacceptable due to the amount of personal time I have wasted on the phone with AT&T. After another 45 minutes on the phone, I get a hold of a guy who listens to the situation and is able to go in and supposedly cancel the account, clear up the back billing and issue me a credit for anything I have over paid. He also asks if I ever received a communication about returning the equipment, which I haven't, obviously, because my old account was never cancelled. He says I will receive instructions on returning the equipment, which I did receive and then used to return the equipment. I have tracking information for this return.

A few days after I returned the equipment, I receive a bill for $491.86 - $450 of which is for unreturned equipment - which is wrong of course. This also includes billing for between 7/27/11 and 8/26/11, plus a forwarding of charges for 6/27/11-7/26/11 for which I never previously received communication.

By my account, AT&T owes me $77.88 from where they should have billed me $22.12 minus a $100 credit (pain and agony credit) for the billing period between 6/27/11 and 7/26/11 plus a credit of $128.08 (another pain and agony credit) on the bill from 7/27/11-8/26/11 totaling a credit of $205.96.

Additionally, I have wasted over 14 hours on the phone with AT&T customer service and 8 hours of paid time off from work (waiting for an installation tech who never showed up) that I will now not be able to use towards my personal vacation. Based on my rate of pay, that wasted 22 hours is worth approximately $600.00. I am not factoring in the stress of the situation, the loss of sleep, the inability to communicate with the outside world during the time between 6/30/11 and 7/27/11 in the form of a home phone or internet connection.

I am a fairly intelligent and very persistent person who insists on doing things the right and fair way. I feel for anyone who is not able to keep track of these ridiculous account issues. AT&T's system has created an environment in which their reps are powerless to assist customers with even the most basic of account transitions - a residential move!

Every customer service rep I have spoken with has been incredibly kind and understanding, has tried to manage my frustration, has tried to issue credits to make good on my lost time and energy, but they are facing a monolithic computer and database system that doesn't allow them to use their minds to correct issues.

Unacceptable.