CSAA - CSAA, AAA left me stranded

Product: Roadside Assistance

Company: CSAA

Location: 15 Bicentennial Cir
Sacramento, CA, 95826, US

I was in Pacifica CA when my pickup threw a rod, I had AAA's gold package, which included up to 250 miles free towing, I was about 115 miles from home so I figured no problem, I'd have them tow me home. I called roadside assistance and told them I was in a long bed, crew cab pickup and that they would need to send a rollback tow truck to get me. After about an hour, a tweaker showed up in a little tow truck, he took one look at my truck and said they couldn't tow it. I explained to him that they could if they had a rollback, which he said they did have, but he didn't think it would work but would send it out anyway. 2 and a half hours later, another tweaker showed up with the rollback truck, he took one look and said that he couldn't tow my pickup because it was too long, and he was the manager of the company so his decision was final. I called AAA and asked what to do next, and I was advised to find another towing company on my own, pay them for the tow and seek reimbursement from AAA. I could not believe my ears, but the rep said that there was nothing they could do, that was the only towing company they were contracted with in the area (20 miles from San Francisco) and I was on my own, good luck, and have a nice day. Luckily, I remembered the name of a towing company in Sacramento, so I called them and had them come get me and put it on a credit card. They sent a SMALLER rollback truck to pick me up than the first company had, and loaded it and brought it back just fine. AAA did reimburse me for the tow, but they absolutely didn't care that I sat on the side of the road for 6 hours+ and were no help in locating a towing company to get me home.