eBay - eBay Buyer Protection Does Not Exist

Posted on Friday, September 16th, 2011 at 7:49pm CDT by 10354ae4

Product: online auction

Company: eBay

Location: San Diego, Ca, US

On Aug. 13, 2011 I bought a computer hard drive from a seller on eBay. eBay canceled the listing. Afraid I would not receive the item, I filed a claim for refund. The seller alleged that the item had already been shipped and provided a tracking number. When I receive the package sent, it contained a Chinese coin instead of a hard drive. It was evident that the seller had lied. However, eBay, intent on protecting the seller required me to ship the coin back to the seller in China. This would have cost me $89.67 via UPS, $63.18 via FEDEX, or $29.95 via USPS. Since I was only asking for a $33.99 refund I sent 3 emails to eBay, requesting that its decision be changed. I did not receive any response. On Sept. 16, 2011 I received an email from eBay, informing that I would not get a refund; that the case was closed; and that I could keep the coin. The decision of eBay enable the seller to keep my money through the simple trick of sending me a coin instead of a computer hard drive. I think that if the seller sent me a brick instead of a coin, eBay would have required me to ship that to China too. The decision is completely insane.