Town & Country Movers - Moving Company vs. Single Mom

Company: Town & Country Movers

Location: 81 Santilli Highway Everett, MA 02149 617-381-1990
Everett/Attleboro, MA, 02149/0270, US

URL: http://www.townandcountrymover.com/

My name is Karen and I am a single mom who just moved into a home a few weeks ago. I have taken my case to BBB and the Attorney Generals Office but neither of them could assist me. I am hoping that you can help me expose a moving company that is "working under the table" and ripping people off because according to BBB they filed for Chapter 11 and that's why they are unable to help me.

I am starting a new chapter in my life and this company has taken $1,900.00 from me (came out of my savings) and it's not right! I don't want this to happen to anyone else. I work hard for my money and people like this should and need to be stopped!

This nightmare all started when I spoke to Mr. Sal Cerrone, Jr. on 8/15/11 regarding my move from Attleboro, MA to North Attleboro, MA. He seemed like a genuine person and he even gave me a break on the price at $109/hr with 3 movers and 1 truck. I had done my homework and gotten quotes much higher than this.

Before I knew it, moving day came! On 9/15/11 Sal's movers showed up at my house in Attleboro, MA with 4 movers and 1 Budget rental truck. I guess this was a red flag but at the time I did not even think twice about it. I had two consecutive closing to go to and time was not on my side.

The price of $109 that I was originally quoted went to $139/hr. because as Sal stated (by the way, Sal was not there) he had to add another mover because I had left him a message a few days ago stating that I really had a lot of crap and he better be prepared. lol.

What else was I supposed to do, I had to move! I was definitely placed in a bad position. They also wanted me to sign and agree upon cash only. I hesitated because I didn't have alot of money left over from my closings and explained that Sal stated it would be okay for me to write a check. They said they would call him and okay it but I needed to sign. So I did.

Then I had to rush off and meet my real estate agent for the first of my closings in Rhode Island. Once this was done, I headed back to Attleboro for my second closing. It was around 3:00 P.M. and the movers were not close to being done. Keep in mind that I had no way to know what they were doing, I basically had to trust that they were packing and not sitting around all this time.

It got to be around 5:00 PM. and my real estate agent, Tina, had to remind me that I had to pick up my son from daycare! My God, I almost forgot! I rushed off to Waltham, MA to pick him up and finally went to North Attleboro, to my new home. The movers were just finishing up. It was around 7:00 PM.

My son Luke and I were exhausted! It had been a really long day. I just wanted to settle in my new home and take care of my son. The movers wanted $1,900 in cash right then and there!

I explained that I had to go to the ATM so they followed me with their Budget rental truck to downtown North Attleboro. I was able to take out about $1,000 in cash but the ATM would not allow me to take out anymore. They proceeded to call Sal and explain the situation. Sal called me on my cell phone a few minutes later to explain that he really needed the cash because one of the guys was supposed to go out of state and needed the cash for the trip. I reiterated that the ATM would not allow me and the remainder would have to be a check. Sal was okay, he had no choice. By the way, Sal cashed the check the very next day!

That was it, then I realized after all of the commotion that I never received a receipt! I called Sal to inquire on several occasions but no response. Then I text him and he stated that he wouldn't be able to give me a detailed receipt or a copy of his insurance until 10/6/11 since he was out of town.

I went back to his e-mail and clicked on the link for his 'website" which gave me another telephone number which I proceeded to call. Sal answered the phone! This number was out of Everett, MA. I began to say, I thought you were out of state, when Sal became very angry and rude! He used foul language and made comments that I was stalking him and not to call or text him again or he would call the police!

I was furious, I did not need to be treated in this manner. All I was looking for was a detailed receipt for the $1,900.00 I had given him! Is that too much to ask for?

e4083ed1, 2011-10-06, 06:20PM CDT

My experience with Town & Country and Sal was quite different. I was present for the move and I too had a lot of stuff. The movers worked their butts off and never stopped. I left the house a couple of times during the move to run errands and it was obvious that they did not discontinue their work. Sal was very flexible with me and my payments (I have similar limits on ATM withdrawals.) And Sal has NEVER been rude--from the get go to the end--he was accommodating and professional. I'm not sure what happened here with this customer, but my experience with Town & Country was very different than what is described here. I'm guessing this not the whole story with this transaction.

71fb1e40, 2013-06-20, 10:23AM CDT

They did this to me as well 3 weeks ago, I contacted the attorney general, and they are getting my money back, these guys lost there license and arent allowed to do business in the state. They have really hurt a lot of older people, If they took any money from you, you can get it back. They qouted me 550 and took 1250, he stood over me and screamed at me untl I gave it to him...