Whirlpool/Maytag - Defective Maytag/Whirlpool Washers

Company: Whirlpool/Maytag

Location: 553 Benson Road
Benton Harbor, MI, 49022, US

URL: http://www.maytag.com/

Less than 18 months after delivery, our little used Maytag Washer failed. It would not fill with water properly, agitated the clothes dry and deposited water onto clothes already spun dry.

The Maytag repairman replaced the "Water Level and Temperature Controller Switch" (Part#W10248240)during a 15 minute visit for a cost of $170.55, almost half the cost of the washer after rebates.

The repairman stated that this part fails frequently as there was a manufacturing defect and the parts are now made by a supplier in the US rather than in China as was originally the case. He also stated that he has replaced this same part up to 3 times in the same washers.

I called, e-mailed and wrote Maytag for some sort of adjustment but was refused. Customer service insists on the 12 month warranty and refuses to help even though there is evidence of a widespread serious manufacturing defect in this sensor relay.

My understanding is that this sensor relay is present in other models of Maytag/Whirlpool washers as well.

2832070d, 2011-11-15, 08:03AM CST

I myself had this same issue. I purchased the machine in 2009. In 2010 I had them come out and replace this same part. The technician said the same thing, that it was a decect with these particular machines. Well, here it is 2011 and I have the same problem. My 2 year warranty ran out about a month ago. I know if I call the company I will be out of pocket for the repair and probably get no where with complaining. Did anything ever come from your situation? Any suggestions about what I should do regarding this matter? Please respond if you have any good suggestions for me. [email protected] thanks!

c5ebc494, 2011-12-03, 11:24PM CST

I have had the exact same Maytag Centennial washer model for 17 months. It now has the exact same problem! Repairman came today and said the part number you mention needs replacing, at a cost of $169. He said this part is failing in many machines. Maytag/Whirlpool should deal with this with a free part or a recall on all.

8663a4d1, 2011-12-05, 01:26PM CST

My 2-yr old Maytag Centennial washer is having all the same problems. The repairman was just here. He called Maytag(Whirlpool)and was told the part, #W10248240, was unavailable. There are currently over 8000 on backorder nationwide. Maytag does not have a manufacturer for the part!

b1a40e9a, 2011-12-06, 03:51PM CST

Same exact problem. Maytag is no help at all and wanted to charge me $308 to fix it and give a year warranty. I will nt be purchasing another maytag appliance. We had the machine for 20 months and with rebates paid about $350 for it. I was not expecting a free repair but 20 months into a new machine and a problem maytag knows is an issue and they wont do anything. Thats a poor company indeed.

b6b35d8f, 2011-12-14, 04:33PM CST

I just had the same part replaced on my Maytag washer, that is only two years old

9444b9bd, 2013-10-25, 01:53PM CDT

My Maytag washer Model # MVWC6ESWW1 was not cycling correctly for the second time. I received this machine on 2/5/210 at a cost of $320.00. I had to have the machine switch sensor replaced on 8/10/2012 because the machine was refilling with water after the tub spin cycle completed at a cost of $256.94

10/24/2013 Maytag Customer Service was called because my washing machine is refilling with water after the tub spin cycle completed again. I have the same problem all over again for which Maytag wants another $129.00 service call plus another $127.94 for a new switch in a machine that I have already spent $576.94.

Maytag Customer Service was specifically asked if there is a manufacturer?s defect in the washing machine or any of its parts ? WHICH THEY DENIED obviously they lied and this is not true.

Next they were asked how many of these washing machines were sold ? THEY DO NOT HAVE THAT INFORMATION ?which is a lie.

Next they were asked how many of the machines sold had to be repaired for this problem. - THEY DO NOT HAVE THAT INFORMATION ?which is a lie.

Next they were asked if they could cover the cost of this repair since this the second time I have had this problem for which I have already spent $576.94 on. ? OF COURSE THEY CANNOT HELP.

I promise Maytag that lying to me has serious financial consequences and it will cost them a lot more than a $129.00 service call and $127.94 for a new switch.

[email protected]

greg s., 2013-12-05, 01:47PM CST

same here this machine was given to me and now i know why. wet clothes at end of cycle, smelly, dirty , even dirtier than when they went in. maytag sucks! what happenned? use to have a good reputation. good thing i didnt pay for this piece of shit or i may have had to seek revenge...