Banfield Pet Hospital - Banfield Pet Hospital-Annapolis, MD

Posted on Tuesday, November 8th, 2011 at 3:08pm CST by 65196011

Product: Veterinary Services

Company: Banfield Pet Hospital

Location: Annapolis, MD, US

Let me start off by saying that I used the Banfield clinic in Merriam, KS for years and never had a problem with them. Their wellness plan worked great for me, and the staff were always friendly and the doctors always open with me. However, after moving to Annapolis, MD and transferring to the Banfield here, I no longer feel this way and once my current plan expires, I'll be seeking my veterinary care elsewhere.

For starters, I received a call telling me it was time for my dog's annual checkup. I was told that I could stay with him, that it would only be about a 30 minutes visit. However, when I arrived, I was told it would be a few hours, and I needed to just drop him off. I wasn't happy about this, but agreed to leave my 7 yr old mild mannered golden retriever in their care. I was then given a sheet of "optional charges" that I may be responsible for. One of these was an "excessive restraint" fee. When I asked about this, I was told that if it takes more than two "nurses" to hold him down for any procedure, there is a charge for that. Being a nurse myself, I took exception to this, as 1) they are NOT nurses, 2) I can't imagine it taking even two people to hold my dog down, let alone more,3) how could they prove to me that this service was necessary and 4) even if it DID take people to hold him, I would never imagine charging for this. I mean, these are staff members who are paid to be there regardless of what they're doing. It doesn't cost any more for an additional person to come hold an animal than it does for that person to stand around watching. Ridiculous!

Then, when they called to tell me he was ready, I was told he had a minor skin infection from a spot he'd been biting, and they wanted to put him on a week of cephalexin.....at a cost of almost $70! Again, being a nurse myself, I'm familiar with antibiotics, and I know that there is no difference between the veterinary and human forms for cephalexin. Cephalexin is on the Wal-Mart $4 drug list, so it completely blew me away that they had the nerve to charge $70 for it. I declined the medication, and said I would treat him topically at home. The woman on the phone kept trying to convince me to purchase their medication, even telling me that I must not care about my dog's best interest if I was refusing to buy it.

As I said, once my current plan expires, I plan to cancel it and find a different vet to care for my dog. It's really a shame, since this was not at ALL the experience I had with Banfield in Kansas. But the Annapolis Banfield is a disgrace.