Inserra Shoprite - Inserra Shoprite of Hoboken and Jersey City, New Jersey

Posted on Friday, November 11th, 2011 at 11:17am CST by fc2ede4c

Company: Inserra Shoprite

I recently went into the Inserra Shoprite in Hoboken and also at Marin Blvd in Jersey City location to purchase a Shoprite gift card using my credit card (a monthly gift to my parents during these tough economic times).

I first went to Hoboken and spoke with Mr. Ramirez the assistant manager who informed me it is the company policy that customers can only pay for gift cards with cash or debit no credit cards. I confirmed that yes Shoprite does accepts credit cards for purchases but you cannot purchase gift cards with a credit card. It is completely acceptable for a company to mandate that they do not accept credit cards but what gives you the right to pick and choose which transactions are credit card eligible. Mr. Ramirez just kept telling repeating to same thing to me over and over. For the record, Company Policy is not a valid reason for not doing something at a minimum give any excuse as to why it is the Company Policy it makes your employees sound like mindless robots who are too afraid to challenge policies that might hinder a customers ability to do business with your company. I explained to him that this was done for the past three months at the Marin Blvd location. He dismissed me and suggested that I go there.

I left and went to Marin Blvd in Jersey City. I spoke with Mr. Bobowicz, another assistant manager as well as another company robot, he informed me of that same annoying phrase it is company policy. I demanded to speak to a regional manager and he provided me with a number to client complaints. I left even more infuriated at this ridiculous policy.

I was shocked when I went to Shoprite.com and found that I can actually purchase gift cards with a credit card. So just to recap, apparently you can go onto Shoprites website and purchase a gift card with your credit card however you cannot go to your local Inserra Shoprite store. Does this make sense at all? Is this a way of getting additional fee income since they charge a processing fee of .99 ?? Are they trying to nickel and dime your customers similar to the big banks? Remember what happened to Bank of America when they attempted to impose the debit card fee, they lost customers even after reversing their decision,. Learn these lessons corporate America, we are the consumer and we have power.. We have the power to choose to not do business with you and go to your competitors which drives your stock price down and can potentially drive you out of business'. Remember Netflix, they lost 800,000 customers in one quarter--3 short months! Imagine if this happened to your company it wouldnt be a very good New Year for you..

So I called the customer complaint line and insisted on speaking to the executive offices?. I originally wanted to speak to the owner but I was only able to speak with Maryann in the corporate offices of Inserra Shoprite'. Maryann attempted to get me an exception to the policy/. An exception to the policy? Why not change your policy or simply stop allowing your customers to pay with credit cards across the board|. Although if you made that decision to not accept credit cards that is a guarantee you would lose money and that would hurt your bottom line Mr. Inserra. I explained to her that I am purchasing a Shoprite gift card that my parents will be using to purchase groceries at your store. I also mentioned to her that Shoprite is the only supermarket that has this ridiculous policy. I can walk into A&P or Pathmark and buy a gift card with my credit card.

She got back to me a day later to explain that she brought up the matter with the owner and you are not budging. Ok Mr. Inserra, obviously you really do not need my measly $200 each month but imagine if there were thousands of me out there doing the exact same thing. Then you might reconsider your policy wouldnt you! Well you have lost a customer and while I am only one person I figure if I tell my story to others and they in turn tell others then perhaps change would occur and you would stop trying to control the way your customers pay for products and services at your stores. However my Christmas wish would be that you no longer have any customers and everyone would shop at Pathmark or A&P, where they are more than happy to accept your credit cards for any transactions that their customers desire. Lastly I wish to Thank You for your non-service it speaks volumes as to how much you truly care about your customers. Happy Holidays!