Tracfone, America Movil - Poor Customer Service

Company: Tracfone, America Movil

Location: Net10 Wireless 9700 NW 112th Avenue Miami, FL 33178
Miami, Fl, US

URL: http://www.net10.com/about.jsp?nextPage=about.jsp&task=about

It is with great frustration and disappointment that I am writing this email to you. I am a Professor of Business Communication and Ethics and my husband is a professor of Business and International Management. I am sorry to say that we are thinking about citing this experience to our students and colleagues as the example of the worst customer service we have ever had the misfortune of encountering for any product in any country.

To briefly recap our ordeal, here is the sequence of events:

1- On Monday, June 27th, 2011 we were unable to make calls using our Net10 phone. When I called customer service I was told that my phone was deactivated! Since I had set up my payment on automatic per month and I had not asked that my phone be deactivated, I was shocked. I asked the agent to reactivate the phone and restore all my balance minutes that had somehow disappeared from my phone. After making me hold for more than an hour the agent finally hung up the phone!

2- After returning from college I again tried the customer service with almost identical results. This time it was a different agent who made me go through the entire process of information gathering again, and just like the previous agent, hung up the phone in after 40 minutes. It was late that night so I decided to try my luck next day.

3- On Tuesday, June 28, 2011 I called the customer service again at about 9am. As with the other agents this one also did not have a clue as to what he was doing, so after 20 frustrating minutes, I asked to speak to a supervisor. To my utter dismay he said he is going to transfer me to s supervisor and then the phone was disconnected in 5 minutes.

4- I was really upset by this time so I gave it another shot at about 10.30 am. This time and agent tried to help me. She was able to bring up the service days and the pending minutes on the phone. She told me that I should be able to make a call in 1 hour. I had to got o college so it was not until later on in the day that I tried to use the phone. Of course, as before my phone was still not working and I was unable to make calls.

5- I called customer support at about 10.50pm again and was told that I need to give 24 hours after reactivation for the phone to work.

6- After waiting for more than 25 hours I called again on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 at about 1 pm. This time the agent told me that my number was not showing up on their records, and that I need to wait another hour or so to be able to make calls. I knew by now that this is the agent's way of stalling me because clearly she did not have a clue as to how she could assist me. So, I asked to speak with a supervisor. The supervisor told me that she will create a case file for me and THAT will take another 24 hours! She was unable to answer my simple question: When can I use my phone? She kept telling me how it will take 24 hours to create a case file. I did find out from her that the service center was in Guyana and not in USA. That explained a lot to me regarding the abysmal quality of the service and the inability of the agents to speak or interact in proper English with me.

While I do understand the benefits of outsourcing for businesses, I also believe that a company such as yours that is looking to develop a good reputation should not compromise their quality of service to an extent that there is no service at all. After 3 days of long conversations with the so-called service representatives I am still without a working Net10 phone although my account shows 30 days of service left with more than 1300 minutes. I have wasted precious hours that were my times away from preparing for my classes in a futile attempt to solve what should have been a few minutes worth of work. I had to spend these hours trying to communicate with people who have no grasp of the problem or the language. It is a shame that good, paying customers, should have to go through this kind of shabby treatment.