The Auto Place - The Auto Place on Toro Road Won't Honor Warranty

Location: 100 Toro Road
Toronto, On, M3J2A9, CA

URL: http://theautoplace.autotrader.ca/index.htm

Long story - short

I purchased a 2007 Mazda5 certified from The Auto Place. My contact states I have a bumper to bumper warranty excl. transmission and engine.

Within a few days of driving, I was experiencing severe swaying when going over bumps.

I had it inspected elsewhere and they have advised that the vehicle should not have passed safety certification due to two problems which will cost over $1000 to fix.

I contacted The Auto Place several times to allow them to rectify this. However, Sam said that they will not honor the warranty and it is my problem - they will not fix it.

Be very careful about buying anything from The Auto Place. They revealed an accident on the vehicle AFTER we had already paid the deposit and now this. Don't buy a car there.

0881464e, 2011-06-30, 12:23PM CDT

The vehicle was sold with complete disclosures, the copy of the contract is available for inspection at any time. The vehicle was inspected and certified by Mazda dealership, the copy of certification is also available for viewing. Maureen called me and said that she got the car inspected at a different location and they say the rear shock is dirty and trail arm bushing is bad and needs replacement. The trail arm bushing is 27$ at Mazda dealership and the rear shock is 40$ and the labour is one hour which works to be 167$ all in all IF WHAT SHE CLAIMS IS TRUE. I clearly told her to take it to Mazda dealership where inspection was done and get it checked for FREE and if what she claims is true we will take care of it, WHICH MEANS WE ARE HONOURING THE WARRANTY. However ofcourse she never went there because nothing is wrong with the car and she is trying to make false accusations. We have sold hundreds of Mazda's past year never one single complaint and now we are up against a person who is trying her best to damage our reputation for a simple fact that she would get something out of us.

6f8386fb, 2011-06-30, 04:30PM CDT

I appreciate that The Auto Place would take the time to reply to this. However, their response is not accurate.

1) I did not take the vehicle back to the Mazda dealership as I had been told the vehicle was unsafe to drive and it was 20 miles and neither The Auto Place or Mazda offered to tow it there and I was not going to put myself at risk by driving it there.

2) On June 24 (the date I contacted The Auto Place), I received a report and quote from another Mazda dealership detailing the problems with the vehicle and the costs to repair. I paid $125 for the additional inspection and the quote is $900 parts, labour and taxes. The Auto Place did not request a copy of the the report or quote. They simply said that IF I was even telling the truth, he could get his cheap mechanic and cheap parts and fix it for less. Then, when I contacted him later that day, he said it wasn't their problem and they would not honor the warranty. No matter what they NOW claim, that is what they told me on the phone on Friday.

3) I went through the proper channels to have the vehicle inspected by the Ministry of Transportation which has now deemed the vehicle unsafe and has removed the plates from the vehicle. So, I got the car on June 15, stopped driving on June 24 because of the unsafe report from the 2nd Mazda dealership and now I am legally not allowed to drive the vehicle. (Gee! I guess there is something wrong with the vehicle!)

4) Since I posted purely the facts of this matter online so that other consumers are aware of their practices, they have changed their tune saying they will take care of it. In the same breath, they have threatened me with legal action for my posts. In fact, I have said nothing but the truth which is my right here in Canada. However, their comments that "there is nothing wrong with the car", "she is making false accusations", and "a person who is trying her best to damage our reputation for a simple fact that she could not get something out of us" are slanderous, inaccurate and legally actionable.

So - the update to this matter is:

Now that I have not taken this matter sitting down, as they would have hoped, The Auto Place is changing their tune.

They are NOW saying they will repair the vehicle as per the warranty.

Clearly, they were not happy that I used the internet to bring attention to their business practices. I will update this post again if/when they repair the vehicle.

6f8386fb, 2011-07-11, 08:10AM CDT

The Auto Place has begrudgingly fixed my vehicle, however, the whole time they acted like they were doing me a favour. So, although it is finally fixed, I did not have a car for 2 weeks because of their initial refusal to honour the warranty. In addition, when I picked up my car, Sam sarcastically thanked me profusely. He said that because of all of the trouble that he has had with me (!!! - really?) that he is no longer giving people warranties on some of the cars he sells so that when there are problems a few days later, he won't have any responsibility for fixing it. Wow! So, be warned! This is not the dealership to buy your vehicle from.

6f8386fb, 2011-07-11, 08:18AM CDT