Panasonic - Panasonic Plasma lemon

Posted on Friday, January 7th, 2011 at 4:01pm CST by db082173

Product: TC-P50G10

Company: Panasonic

I bought Panasonic Plasma model TC-P50G10 in November 2009. The TV completely died within 2 months (January 2010) flashing 8 red blinks. Since it was still under warranty, Panasonic handled the repair quickly and it worked perfectly (for about another 11 months). Now that the unit is just out of the warranty period, it completely died again (this time flashing 5 red blinks). I called Panasonic again and after dealing with back and forth calls all week on which paperwork I needed to send them, once they received everything I sent, I finally got a call back today explaining that I need to pay for a service evaluation, then once they review the service evaluation, they *might* help me pay for a portion of the repair cost. Apparently they consider it generous to "assist" their customers pay for the repair because technically it's not their problem after the warranty has expired. An expensive 50 inch plasma TV should last longer than one year. I will NEVER buy another Panasonic product ever again, and urge everyone to stay away from Panasonic. I have seen a multitude of comments on this same "blinking red light" issue on various consumer complaint Web sites and it seems that a manufacturing defect might be the cause. I have also read that a class action lawsuit might be underway and would be happy to share my experience with anyone pursuing this matter further.

9e00cb6a, 2011-05-03, 02:28PM CDT

I bought mine in July '09 and after 20 months it just completely died. It is out of warranty and will cost around $900 to repair...absolutely rediculous. Panasonic will never see my house again.

If a class action suit develops, I'm ready to assist in any way.

Jerry