Pickens Kane Allied - Pickens Kane/Allied Moving - Do Not Use

Company: Pickens Kane Allied

Location: 303 Munroe Drive
Bloomington, IL, 60108, US

URL: http://pickenskane.com/

I contracted Pickens Kane/Allied Van Lines to move me from a NW suburb of Chicago to Coconut Creek, FL. At the time I signed the contract I was strongly encouraged by the salesman Chris Lidge to purchase moving insurance in case my furniture was damaged which I did at a cost of over $200. This was for a loss of $30K with a $500 deductible. I was also advised by the salesman that I would be sharing a huge semi (tractor and trailer measuring 70) with three other families. The morning of the move 12/6/2010 a much smaller truck showed up and the driver advised me before he even saw my furniture and boxes that his truck was pretty well filled up having five families loaded on the truck prior to coming to my house (mine being the sixth family). He told me he would take what he could and another truck would come for the remainder of my things later in the day but the things would not be delivered at the same time in Florida as the second truck would pick up my things and take them back to their warehouse where they would be loaded at a later date onto another truck headed for Florida. I was furious and immediately called the office and the salesman and was told sometimes that happens. I have a high end bedroom set made of mauve colored mirror and metal which was custom made. I advised the movers the pieces were put together like a puzzle and secured to the wall but they didnt listen and pulled the cabinets away from the wall all together which badly damaged/bent the metal frame on one of the bases (that base cost me $523. They also carried out two expensive contemporary lamps but only one made it, the other one when delivered was literally bent backward and in two pieces - $450 lamp. The driver plunked it down on the floor and told me sorry and to file a claim. I had packed two Murano glass lamps myself with pillows in the box, Styrofoam peanuts and bubble wrap. One made it and the other was smashed to bits (this lamp cost me $500). They delivered my TV cabinet less one glass door as well and damaged art pieces. The movers pushed the boxes and furniture in the truck with such force they damaged and smashed many of my things in an effort to shut the door of the first truck. The space allowance in the first truck was a joke. The first truck delivered 1/3 of my belongings in Florida on 12/10/2010 and the second truck delivered the rest on 12/l6/2010. In addition to the side of the base cabinet being bent from my bedroom set I noticed one nightstand was badly dented (I paid $562 for the nightstand). I filed a claim as I was told to do two estimators were sent by the mover and both clearly stated the bedroom pieces cannot be replaced or repaired as the company Ello custom made the pieces and they are now out of business. I have the original receipts for the bedroom set and supplied it. Pickens Kane/Allied refuses to make good on their own insurance that they so readily advised me to purchase for over $200. Buyer beware!! this company is a disgrace. . My move was not a large one and the cost was $3700 and they refuse to make good on my losses WITH PURCHASED INSURANCE. I will attach the e-mail I got from their adjuster Judy Fisher so you can draw your own conclusions.

In an effort to resolve this claim we assigned another repair service and we are in receipt of their report.

In viewing the photographs it appears, as well as your conversation with Woodcraft Customer Designers that at some point you were going to have granite tops or something put on the top of the chest which would cover the claimed damages.

Although, we question liability at all for this piece as well as the night stand which you did not have on your claim form we will offer $100.00 as a cosmetic allowance and gesture of goodwill and not as an admission of liability for these 2 item. The items are not destroyed and can still be used for their intent. Therefore, the carrier would never consider replacement of these pieces for that reason as well as being at this point an unfinished piece of furniture.

Again, the driver told you about the damage when he was in your home with this piece prior to it being handled/moved. Additionally, you were presented with a customer check off sheet which advised the customer to note damages as well as missing items at the time of delivery. You allege you saw the driver damage the unit when it was pulled from the wall however, you did not make any note of it on this paperwork.

We are maintaining our position as previously outlined for the remaining items. We did check with the driver and he stated that no one related to the move ever took back with them, the lamp that was allegedly damaged in transit.

Adding the $100.00 to the previous settlement for the TV stand at $250.00. Your claim still falls within the deductible and therefore, no disbursement can be made.

We have settled the claim within the Rules and Regulations for transit damages. Should you wish to pursue your claim via other avenues we suggest that you go to Arbitration. You should contact the American Moving and Storage Association for this information.

Sincerely,

J. Fisher

Claims

Pickens Kane Companies

We will respond to your claim when we have all of the information that is needed to do so.

From: Stephanie Wink [mailto:[email protected]]

Sent: Monday, January 24, 2011 6:37 AM

Cc: Kathy Strle; [email protected]

Subject: Fw: Moving claim 499268

Importance: High

You should have the report from Woodcraft Design by now - Kindly pay my claim.

From: Stephanie Wink

Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2011 10:15 AM

Subject: Fw: Moving claim 499268

Allyn Schmidt was here this morning from Woodcraft. He said the nightstand and 3 drawer base cannot be repaired or replaced.

You will have his report tomorrow.

Kindly pay my claim for the 3 drawer base, 3 drawer nightstand, contemporary lamp and TV stand as indicated in my prior e-mail (copy below of charges).

I expect to be reimbursed for the damaged nightstand which cost me $562.00 (I have the original receipt)

I expect to be reimbursed for the bent frame on the three drawer cabinet in the amount of $523 (I have the original receipt)

I expect to be reimbursed for the tv stand that was damaged in the amount of $250

I expect to be reimbursed for the contemporary reading lamp smashed and broken in three pieces by the movers that I did not pack in the amount of $450 (check with driver Chuck who took the lamp (not packed by me) and delivered it on the floor smashed backwards and in two pieces - he said to file a claim.

Total of claim $1785 less $500 deductible leaves a balance of $1,285.00 which I expect to be reimbursed to me ASAP.

From: Stephanie Wink

Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 2:17 PM

Subject: Re: Moving claim 499268

Yes, my items were smashed to get them on your first truck and my bedroom set is ruined. The contemporary lamp taken by the movers not packed by me was smashed backwards and broken in half. Ask Chuck the mover who put in on the floor and told me to file a claim. I am sorry I ever used your company - in fact I was speaking to Henry Feliciano at Verizon Business who uses PIckens Kane all the time both in Chicago and Downers Grove and told him abou t my experiences and he was abhored. I worked for Verizon Business and know Henry well. Maybe he will think again when hiring a mover.

Let me know your intentions to either make good on your service or not and I will advise you of mine. I bought insurance from your company and the fact you refuse to make good on your commitment with insurance is a disgrace. You just putting me off and frankly I'm getting tired of dealing with you at all. If you continue to do business as you do you will lose more and more clients and remember it's the clients like me that ultimately pay your check. Keep in it mind.

From: Judy M. Fisher

To: Stephanie Wink

Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 11:47 AM

Subject: RE: Moving claim 499268

Ms Wink,

We assigned Woodcraft for a second opinion on the damages not necessarily to do a repair. We denied the claim for not being transit damages.

In order for us to take a second look at it we need them to do an inspection.

Your items were not smashed onto the truck as you keep indicating. If they had been smashed onto the truck there would be a lot more damages.

When a moving company sends out a Salesperson to do an estimate it is just that an estimate. If a customer who is scheduled to be loaded adds items to their shipment at the time of loading that were not considered when the estimate was written it would obviously affect the trailer space available. When a truck is dispatched to a home the trailer space is already cubed for a move. This is why your shipment had to be loaded onto 2 trucks. It was not our intention to load 2 different trucks with your household goods but there are circumstances that are beyond our control. We do the best we can in servicing our shipments as originally scheduled but again there are circumstances which are out of our control. However, just because your shipment was loaded into 2 trucks does not indicate that your items were handled any differently than they would have been on 1 truck. The fact that your claim is a relatively small claim for items claimed would indicate that your items were not handled in the manner in which you keep insisting it was. However, if that is your impression than we apologize.

As stated your Murano glass egg and dragon were in packed by owner containers. You had the opportunity at destination to indicate on the customer check off sheet any cartons that were received with damages. In reviewing the form you did not list any damages to the cartons or to any of the claimed items as the form requests you do. As stated we are maintaining our position as we do not accept liability for packed by owner cartons.

You also allege that the damage to the cabinet occurred when the driver moved it away from the wall, however you had the opportunity to note this occurrence on the customer check off sheet and you listed nothing.

As previously stated the carrier has the right to inspect each and every item being claimed to verify transit damages as well as costs associated with the value and to determine if repairs were in order. Since we were denied this opportunity and this item was not presented to us for viewing we cannot assume that there was any damages and therefore, we are maintaining our position as previously outlined. We are not going to pay a claim when no item was been presented to us.

Woodcraft will be calling you to schedule an appointment as I just spoke with them regarding your email.

We will get back with you once Woodcrafts report has been received and reviewed.

Sincerely,

Cc: Kathy Strle; clidge@pickenskane.c[email protected]

Subject: Re: Moving claim 499268

Importance: High

Judy,

I just talked with Woodcraft Design (by the way the phone number you provided for them was not correct) to set up an appointment as my husband is in the hospital and was advised they do not repair Ello Mirrored/Metal furniture - Kindly make good on my claim as listed in my prior e-mail (copy below). As time goes on I am becoming more frustrated with PIckens Kane/Allied and feel less confident that I chose a reputable mover. If you people don't make good on my claim with insurance I purchased and paid for I will let others know on the internet 1) about the unprofessional move I experienced sending a truck that was full so my things could not be totally loaded with a second truck picking up half the stuff and delivering a week after the first and 2) allowing so little room in the first truck they smashed my expensive and beautiful things) so they do not experience the same sort of runaround bullshit that I'm going through. As far as I'm concerned my experiences with PIckens Kane/Allied were a disgrace from the moment the first truck pulled up to now.

I expect to be reimbursed for the contemporary readying lamp smashed and broken in three pieces by the movers that I did not pack in the amount of $450.

Total of claim $1785 less $500 deductible leaves a balance of $1,285.00 which I expect to be reimbursed to me.

The other Murano glass egg lamp costing me $500 on sale which I cannot replace ruined the set thanks to the movers smashing my things into a truck with inadequate room allowed for my things. That is how my things were ruined. The company that made my bedroom set is now out of business so Icannot replace the damaged pieces (nightstand and 3 drawer base) which really pains me because it looks terrible.

My husband and I take care of of things and they are not broken and dented as you indicated in your prior e-mail. Please consult with the salesman Chris Lidge and I'm sure he will advise you the condition of our furnishings.

Again, I want to reiterate my experiences with PIckens Kane/Allied was a nightmare. The only two positive experiences I had were with Kathy in the Pickens Kane office and with Chris Lidge, other then them the rest was not good.

Sending a full truck to my home for a move from Illinois to Florida is not acceptable. Trying to smash my high end furniture into a truck caused the damages - case closed. Your movers were not familiar with moving Ello pieces as those mirror pieces are put together like a puzzle - your movers bent my frame - I saw them do it in front of me. Additionally they did not have a clue how to dissemble my bed and had to make phone calls - my bed was damaged as well - I didn't notice that until I went to turn the mattress and noticed the platform was not right but I am not claiming that (by the way the "floating platform cost me $526 which is not in my claim).

I expect a minimum settlement of $1285.00 for my losses after the deductible.

b-----

From: Judy M. Fisher

To: [email protected]

Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2011 10:10 AM

Subject: Moving claim 499268

In an effort to try and resolve this claim we have assigned another repair service for a second opinion. Woodcraft Custom Designers will be calling you to schedule an appointment. Should you need their number it is 972-971-2320.

Judy Fisher