The hartford - THE HARTFORDdisaster

Product: home insurance

Company: The hartford

Location: po box 14268
lexington, KY, 40512-4268, US

In the begining of December i had a trailor stolen off my property.I used this trailor to keep and store tools and materials i didnt have room for in my shop.

I called The Hartford and opened a claim for the tools and materials to reimburse me for the loss.Justin Koutros told me since i didnt use the trailor for work and was an extension of my shop out back to fill out the forms and fax them back to him,he wanted manuals and receipts to show proof i did in fact own over 10k worth of stuff in the trailer.I have receipts since 1990 and over half the manuals for the tools and equipment i own so thank god i was a pack rat for that.He wanted me to seperate a list of work tools from personal property tools which i did he said the 2500 would cover the work tools and the rest of the tools had a 100%recoup so after i payed for the replacement tools they would reimburse me the difference of depreciation.

I was not able to remember everything i had in the trailor but was able to come up with over 13K worth of tools and materials-(receipts and manuals to prove it)- and i didnt even claim the dmg to the trailor as i dont move it anyways its for storage 98% of the time.

Justin told me that after he got the fax id get the check and could go replace everything within the week after he sent the check out.

Fast forward to today: it has now been over a month and i have a check for $2500 for the work tools and another for $882 to cover the other tools they consider around the house tools.

My request for a list of how they come up with whats considered "around the house tools", how they price items ,a copy of the policy, still have not been shown to me.All i was told was i have 180 days to except the payments or the claim will be closed.

So from what im being told and shown if your house burns down or you get robbed even if you do have proof of what was lost in the disaster your limited by whatever this company wants to pay and they use there own formulas that are secret and cannot be disclosed.

unlike others maybe who just take what they give i cannot, i am now forced to try and take this to courts so i can get put back to whole again before the theft happened which according to the insurance commissioner is the duty of the company.

My opinion is if your thinking of using THE HARTFORD you should definatly shop around .I know i will be.