HP - HP will not acknowledge serious fax defect

Company: HP

Location: Hewlett-Packard Company 3000 Hanover Street
Palo Alto, CA, 94304-1185, US

URL: http://www.hp.com/

HP will sell printers with defects and then not even notify the owner, even when they have ones email, phone number, etc - even when the defect could be a possible safety hazard.

I bought an HP 4-in-1, model Officejet Pro L7590, in 2008. I immediately registered it on-line with HP. On that first day, I noticed that the display was saying Phone off hook or Line in use, but I thought it was something I had done during the software installation. I forgot about it until some time later when I noticed the printers display again saying the same thing. I ran around my house checking al my extensions to make sure one hadnt fallen out of its cradle . (None had.) Then I noticed the same thing happening on the display on my landline phones. And friends would call and say theyd tried to call me earlier but the line was busy when I knew I had not been on the phone.

I was so sure the problem was with my landline. I called my phone company 4 times. As a last resort, they finally replaced a very expensive piece of equipment outside and told me to check with my security/alarm company if it happened again because the loss of dial tone may be caused by a bad jack somewhere. So, after it happened again, I called my security alarm company. They checked everything and also could find nothing wrong, so in desperation I sat down at my computer and Googled Line in Use Phone off hook and found that HP and other printers with faxes had this problem! I was furious that HP didnt notify me. When I called an HP Tech, he laughed and said yes, theyve had a lot of complaints about that printer!

What if I had an emergency and needed to dial 911 when the faxs defect was using my dial tone?? What if my alarm system needed the dial tone?? I had to pay a $55 trip charge to my security company and only didnt have to pay my landline company because I already pay $60 a year for maintenance calls.

Today I called HP in response to a letter of complaint I sent to their HQ. The HP Case Manager refused to acknowledge that my printer has a defect and didnt even apologize! She said it is the owners responsibility to look on the HP website. But I didnt know until very recently that their printer was causing my occasional lack of dial tone! Beside the L7590 is still not listed as having a defect, even though their own tech department said theyve had many complaints about it.