Dell - Dell's lousy customer service

Posted on Monday, February 21st, 2011 at 11:14am CST by b7fc0e4b

Product: Dell laptop

Company: Dell

I sent the following email message to the customer service department at Dell. In fact, I sent it twice. I received no reply at all. The problem described below notwithstanding, I have been reasonably happy with our Dell laptops, but with this kind of customer service, I won't be purchasing another Dell product, and I will warn others away as well.

To Whom It May Concern at Dell:

My wife purchased a laptop computer from you 13 months ago, an Inspiron 1545, and a couple of weeks ago the battery failed. It now provides just 15 or 20 minutes of computer use before the machine shuts down. The computer also displays a warning message that the battery is nearing the end of its useful life.

I've owned laptops for years, and I know that the lifespan of a laptop battery can vary greatly, but I think that 13 months is totally unacceptable. Your own technical support web site states that a battery should last 18 to 24 months before one experiences any decline in run time.

I called your technical support staff, and the gentleman I spoke to simply stated that he could do nothing for me because the warranty had expired a few weeks ago. When I suggested to him that a laptop battery should last at least two years, he responded with a most unhelpful comment: "It could last two years, it could last two days." I asked whether there was someone else with whom I might speak, and he offered to let me speak with his supervisor. He then placed me on hold. After 10 minutes on hold, I ended the call.

We have been good Dell customers. We own two Dell laptops. Can you help? Having a battery fail two weeks after the warranty expires seems most unreasonable. I would suggest that the shipment of a replacement would be in order.

The laptop's service tag: 2MTY1K1.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.