American Express - American Express rip-off

Posted on Monday, February 14th, 2011 at 12:54pm CST by 7233808e

Product: TrueEarnings reward

Company: American Express

I recently rec'd my AMERICAN EXPRESS bill enclosed with my "True Earnings" reward. This reminded me I could not remember receiving or using my reward last year. My Mother passed away a short time before I would have rec'd it and I was just not able to function well for over a year after her death. We were extremely close.I called AMERICAN EXPRESS and sure enough I had earned a $373.87 reward and HAD NOT used it. I asked if it could be reissued or if the $373.87 could be applied to my bill. I was told neither could happen, the reward expired in August 2010. When I spoke with a supervisor named Abigail I was told they could credit my account $78.89!

WOW, WOW!! Now isn't that just wonderful? Out of the $373.87, (that's THREE HUNDRED SEVENTY THREE DOLLARS AND EIGHTY SEVEN CENTS!), I actually earned, American Express will credit my account $78.89. They are just going to keep $294.98 of the reward I earned. This is apparently as punishment for being too grief stricken for my Mother to function well.

I have been a very good customer of AMERICAN EXPRESS for a long time. Apparently this means absolutly NOTHING.

Am I the only one who thinks this sounds like theft?