Motel 6 - Motel 6 room guarantee worthless?

Posted on Saturday, February 12th, 2011 at 8:22pm CST by 8b0e8605

Product: Motel

Company: Motel 6

Location: 2005 A North Main Street
Brinkley, Ar, 72021, US

URL: http://www.motel6.com

Reserved a Motel 6 room online days ahead, guaranteed it with a credit card, received confirmation via e-mail.

Arrived at 8 p.m. and was told they did not have any rooms.

The online reservation site informs clients can be charged for guaranteed reservations unless cancelled by 6 p.m. I did not cancel, instead driving 14 hours in bad conditions to use the room I assumed I would be charged for.

The clerk's only explanation was: "Lots of people want rooms today."

I am handicapped and had requested a ground-floor, non-smoking room with walk-in shower. She said "because of the weather, all the ground-floor rooms were gone by 3 this afternoon."

Although I have never had a problem with a Motel 6 meeting my needs, I do realize they state they may not be able to comply with special requests. But I at least expect them to have some kind of room when it is ??guaranteed.??

Only after threatening to sleep with my service dog in the lobby, did the clerk finally say she'd find me a room, after which, she told a apparent walk-in in the process of registering that they did not have a room after all.

Despite the 8 p.m. hour, housekeeping hadn't gotten to the room yet. The room was smoking and second-floor with an outdoor staircase.

I wonder if Motel 6 (or at least this one) is double-selling rooms, i.e. peddling reserved rooms after the cancellation deadline in hopes the person who is still financially responsible for the room will not be able to get there.

The only bright spot was a housekeeping employee (Gary), who saw me struggling with my suitcase and cane on the stairs and was quick to insist on helping me.

I usually stay at Motel 6 when I travel, and I know enough not to expect the Ritz. But I do expect to be treated honestly.

Before I use Motel 6 again, I would like them to convince me "guaranteed reservations" is not a joke.