Kroger - Kroger grocery stores misleading advertisements

Product: DuraFlame Space Heater

Company: Kroger

Location: 200 Mount de Chantal Road
Wheeling, WV, 26003, US

In the Kroger newspaper/store circular (COCOL 3OF11/11) effective 21-27 2011 there was an ad for a Duraflame Infrared Heater with a $50 Re-bate. I went to my local Kroger store (#812 @ 50789 Valley Plaza Drive, St.Clairsville, Ohio 43950-1752) at 8:00pm on Nov. 21 only to find out they were sold out. I went to customer service and was told it was unlikely more would be available. They called the Wheeling store at my request and informed me they still had several in stock at that location.

I drove to 12 miles to (#562 @ 200 Mount de Chantal Road, Wheeling, West Virginia 26003) only to find out that although they did have the heater I wanted the $50 rebate offer was not available in West Virginia. My first contact at the customer service window was not good. I was told they knew nothing about it. I requested the manager on duty 8:55pm. She told me that West Virginia had a $15 rebate offer not $50 as in Ohio, This fact was not mentioned in the newspaper/store ad circular, and agreed with me that it should have been mentioned in the paper. She went on to tell me that I could by the heater at that location now and pick up a $50 rebate certificate at an Ohio store. At my request she confirmed that the Martins Ferry store had the rebate coupons. So, I bought the heater there.

I then drove 6 miles to (#371 @ 400 Aetna Street, Martins Ferry, Ohio 43935-1960) only to find out the rebate offer required a purchase of 2 Budweiser Family 24-packs (bottles or cans) with the purchase of electronic items at a cost of about $35. This fact too was not mentioned in the newspaper/store ad circular. The manger at store #562 didnt tell of the fact that a $35 beer purchase was required and that the beer and heater had to be purchases had to appear on the same receipt.

The next day Nov. 22 at about 9:00 am I called Kroger Corporate Customer Service @ 1-800-576-4377 and spoke with Christen. She was very polite and gave me $5 credit on my Kroger card. I thanked her and told her I was still unsatisfied and requested a call back from a person with more authority. She told me it may take up to 14 days for a response.

At about 10:00 am I spoke with assistant manager Neely @ store #812 in St. Clairsville. I explained the situation and she told me she was sorry for my trouble but there was nothing she could do for me.

At about 10:30 am Tina from Kroger Corporate Headquarters called me back. She wouldnt give me her last name but assured she was an assistant to the CEO/President. She informed me that since it the circular said see store for details (in about 8 point type) that Kroger wouldnt offer any remedy for my complaint.

At about 4:00 pm I spoke with general manage Jim Barsch @ store #812 to inform him that I was taking my business including pharmacy to the Wal-Mart next door. I explained the situation and pointed out that I have spent over $10,000 at that location in the last 10 years. I have actually spent about $50,000 if you include my expensive medications as my father pointed out. He again apologized and informed there was nothing he could do to remedy the situation. I pointed out to Mr. Bartsch that there was in fact much more he could do. He had access and creditability with Kroger executives and he could pursue the matter further if he chose to. Unfortunately, he did not chose to.

I then at about 4:30 pm had a similar conversation with the general manager at store #562 in Wheeling also with no satisfactory result.

At this point I am done dealing with Kroger Company and am pursuing a remedy externally.