Directv - DirecTv Warning!

Posted on Thursday, December 29th, 2011 at 9:14am CST by abb24330

Product: Satellite tv service

Company: Directv

Location: Internet
DAYTON, OH, 45415, US

URL: http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/index.jsp

I got Dirctv in June of 2011. I got in on a 'special'. My bill has gone from 44.30 to 108.00 since then. The customer service is not much help, their new excuse is that's it's my fault for a reversal back in August. I had to cancel that cc due to fraud, and I have been paying with my bank account ever since. I made up that payment, it has nothing to do with my high bill.

I just want to warn others who are considering Directv to realize that when you do a contract with them, it will cost you an outrageous $340 to cancel early (and there was already a dish here, fully installed, they can pick up their box or I will gladly send it to them priority w/delivery confirmation so that shouldn't be an issue)..

I WISH there was something that could be done about these companies strong-arming people into an early termination fee. Cell phone companies have gotten into trouble for that, why not satellite and cable companies? Contracts and early termination fees should be outlawed. If you don't pay your bill -- or can't pay it in full -- then they take the bill PlUS $340 out of your bank! I have been able to keep up with my bill by making smaller payments on it each month, which is ridiculous, but I can't have Directv taking out hundreds of dollars from my bank account.

I wish I'd been smarter and NOT ever signed up with them (the service itself is good) and I just want to warn others to think hard and research BEFORE you jump right in to a 'special' you just can't refuse.

I, for one, plan to do some checking with attorneys, consumer advocacy groups, media - anyone who will listen and can help - to see if there's something that can be done about these early termination fees. In these hard economic times (we the people shouldn't pay for tv in the first place), no company should charge anyone an early termination fee - especially of $340!