AT&T - AT&T is bullying me into giving up my Unlimited Data plan!!!!

Posted on Monday, December 19th, 2011 at 2:30pm CST by db3f81a3

Product: Unlimited Data Plan

Company: AT&T

Location: 208 S. Akard St.
Dallas, TX, 75202, US

I have been a happy AT&T customer for many years under my mother's family plan. I still have a phone number through my mother's plan that we continue utilizing. When I chose to obtain my own plan, I immediately decided to go through AT&T even though other wireless carriers already offered iPhone services. I signed up for the unlimited data plan. Many people were talking bad about the AT&T service, however I always defended it.

I signed up for the new contract in July of 2011. I had the Unlimited Data plan for my iPhone. On October 27, 2011 AT&T notified me via email that since I was in the top 5% of the users of the data, AT&T will be reducing my data speeds when the usage "in a billing cycle reaches the level that puts" me "among the top 5 percent of heaviest data users."

I didn't think much of it, since I didn't realize at the time that AT&T would drop the quality/speed of their data so much that I would become unhappy. I could not believe that AT&T would ever treat their customers unfairly, so I continued using my internet service as I would have in the past.

Little did I know, halfway into my next billing cycle I received a text message from AT&T (on November 22, 2011) that my data usage "is among the top 5% users" and that my "data speeds for the rest of the current bill cycle may be reduced." Immediately, my internet speed was reduced so much that I was having a hard time pulling up my email. The data speed wasn't great to begin with before the change took place, however I was patient and never complained about the areas with blackouts that I constantly had to deal with and dropped calls. NOW I had to deal with miserable speeds that in NO way compared to the speeds that I had originally when AT&T hadn't changed my service yet.

On November 30, 2011, I contacted an AT&T customer rep. He told me there was nothing i could do about AT&T unilaterally making that change to the contract and putting that policy in place. He said that the contract allowed them to make any changes as necessary unilaterally. Furthermore, after I inquired whether I could cancel my contract and change to a different services since I'm not longer happy with my contract, AT&T rep stated that I am more than welcome to do so as long as I pay the early term fee of $285. After multiple complaints, I realized that AT&T wouldn't cooperate at all. I threatened to involve the media. He then gave me AT&T's customer care number to contact, which I contacted on 12/2 with no success. They told me that it was policy and there was nothing they could do. I was stuck with the terrible quality internet, but I was welcome to change to the non-unlimited data services and pay the additional fees for additional data. Again they told me they could NOT waive the contract cancellation fee, however I was welcome to cancel my contract at anytime.

I would really appreciate it if someone could further investigate this and publish an article about it. I think it's a severe enough situation where the problem needs to be reported and dealt with. AT&T has no right to unilaterally decide to cut off the quality of their services whenever they feel like it. What precludes them from decreasing the quality of my calls after I have reached 50% of my minutes used? How can they be allowed to lawfully do this?

I have already filed a complaint with the BBB, however AT&T refused to do anything. Furthermore, this month I received the message notifying me that I'm in the top 5% of the users 3-4 days into my month!!!! I had only used 2GB of data at that point. They are literally bullying me into giving up my unlimited data plan! It is extremely unfair of them to do this!