GE - GE Profile Refrigerator Complaint - Icemaker

Posted on Monday, August 8th, 2011 at 9:44am CDT by 167bac21

Product: GE Profile Refrigerator, Model PSS26MSWA

Company: GE

URL: http://GE.com/

GE Profile Refrigerator Complaint, Model PSS26MSWA. 8/8/11. We purchased a new GE Profile fridge with our new home in April 2007. Last week our icemaker stopped making ice. We scheduled an appointment online at GEs website. The GE repairman arrived promptly this morning at 9:09 a.m. and was professional and courteous. He quickly diagnosed the problem as a broken motor, grabbed a new icemaker from the truck and expertly installed it. He was finished and had the bill ready by 9:18, less than 10 minutes after arriving. Excellent, right? Except that we were charged $165.15 for labor. Okay, so $165.15 for 10 minutes, thats $990.90 per hour! Where do I sign up for one of those jobs? But, thats the thing, the repairman certainly does not make $990.90 per hour, or $39,636 per week. If he did, he would not have had to delay his retirement. The cost of the icemaker was reasonable, I believe $108. The visit was $79.99, but I assumed that would be deducted from the labor cost. When I read the schedule service details I printed out when I made the appointment online, I discovered that a labor charge is IN ADDITION to the $79.99 visit charge (plus tax). Okay, they got me there. But charging $165.15 minus $79.99 (visit) equals $85.16. Even if you think a visit fee should be separate from the labor fee (which I do not), $85.16 for a ten-minute repair is $510.96 an hour! That is really outrageous and shame on GE!