Dish Network Shutting Down Receivers

Posted on Thursday, September 9th, 2010 at 7:30am CDT by 56c0a0b6

Product: Dish Network

Company: Not Available

URL: http://www.dishnetwork.com/

We recently moved from Directv to Dish to save money on monthly fees. While there is less programming available on Dish, that has not been an issue for us.

The problem is that I have a customized Windows Media Center setup to record programs and specifically added a receiver so that we could record while watching other programs on our TV's. Shortly after moving to Dish I noticed that our recordings we all a logo screen stating we needed to push "select" to activate the receiver. Investigation revealed that the receivers are configured by default to power off after 4 hours and I was able to disble this. However, the next day, the receiver was off again. I could only attribute this to the daily update that Dish forces on each receiver...there is no way to disable this update/reboot; you can only change the time that it occurs. So I contacted support to try and find a work around.

The reply from support was that the only way to wake up the receiver is to schedule channel changes. While I am still not pleased, I could work around this for once a day to keep the receiver active. The real issue and the reason for this publicized complaint (to warn others) is that the tech also informed me "We are in the process of removing the ability to disable the Inactivity Power Off feature on all of our receivers." In other words, as soon as they get around to it, my receiver is going to power off every few hours and there will be no way for me to disable this.

Clearly Dish is not doing this as some big-brother power saving measure. The only reason I can fathom is that they are trying to prevent people from using their own recording devices to force them into purchasing and paying monthly fees for the Dish DVR service. Had I known this in advance, I would have stayed with Directv.

I have forwarded my complaint to their [email protected] email address but I don't expect that to do any good. Teh best I can hope for is to prevent others who use personal recording devices from falling into their trap.

f1f8eae2, 2011-01-08, 05:31PM CST

Hello, my name is Becki Barned, with DISH Network customer service. Each day, your receiver goes through downloads, and when they are finished, the receiver reboots, resulting in the "Press Select to Watch TV" screen. You can change the times that the downloads occur, so that hopefully they wont get in the way of your recordings! If you have any other questions, please e-mail me at [email protected]

e5f1c98f, 2011-02-01, 01:15PM CST

Hi, this is Alicia Brink. I'm with DISH Network. I apologize for the confusion. When you have a timer set to record a program it will record even if it is on the screen saver. If you can only view the screen saver on the recorded program than you may be having further trouble. You can disable the screen saver on most receivers, you will want to go into the menu, select preferences, than select inactivity standby. Once in this screen you can change the amount of time it takes before it goes to the screen saver or you can disable it completely. If you need any other assistance please let us know.

Carole V., 2013-04-09, 10:17AM CDT

I am totally fed up with Dish and the inability to set a desired update time! My system shuts down at 1:15 EVERY DARNED NIGHT and I miss part of what I am watching. It won't even come back on by itself...just get a screen saver and I have to turn the light on get the remote and press a button. And of course when it turns the TV off to reboot, it wipes out the sleep timer I have previously set on my TV so I have to go through that again. Have talked to Dish and they say nothing I can do about it...well there IS something I can do about it! As soon as my 24 months is up I am switching to DIRECT TV. They don't do that to their customers. This is a very common complaint with Dish...yet they WILL NOT FIX IT! Can't wait to switch.

26669289, 2013-07-18, 10:26AM CDT

My box sucks!!!! Again....2nd one turning off and on.... 2 kids ....no cartoons again......bl

ah dish network!!!