Wells Fargo Bank - Wells Fargo - poor customer service

Location: San Francisco, CA, US

URL: http://www.wellsfargo.com/

October 7, 2010

Dear Wells Fargo,

I am disappointed that your bank has recently terminated the personal banker that I have been using for the last several years. As I understand it, she was let go for a lack of new sales. Well, I am terminating my relationship with you for a lack of understanding that it is better to serve your existing customers than to obtain new sales.

Last summer my daughter's credit card was cancelled while she was in Honduras volunteering at an orphanage for five weeks. Her card was upgraded, automatically canceling her existing card. I contacted wells Fargo before she left the country to notify you that she would be out of the country for five weeks and where she would be. I was reassured that I took the right step contacting the bank beforehand. This debit card was the only way I could get money to my daughter.

When I was notified, in writing, that her card would be cancelled I called the 800 number and spoke to four different representatives and got two different alternating stories. It was an automatic upgrade or the card was compromised. Nobody could provide a through answer. I was switched from representative to representative. I never did get a straight answer. Nobody provided any customer service, except Carol Anderson my personal banker. She went the extra mile to arrange a wire transfer to a bank in Honduras so my daughter could get enough money to complete her stay and return home. She apologized that such a mix up could occur. Why would Wells Fargo upgrade a card when they had already been notified that the card hauler was going to be out of the country for five weeks?

Carol Anderson was the only reason I didn't cancel all my accounts at that time. Now you've gotten rid of the only person who was willing to help me during a crisis. If it is your attitude that customer service is secondary to obtaining new accounts, fine. Go get some new accounts, because I am canceling mine.

If yours is the type of bank that puts your bottom line before mine, then you're not the bank for me. One of the reasons I trusted in Wells Fargo was because Warren Buffet trusted in you. As a stockholder I'm writing Berkshire Hathaway to let them know that they should reconsider their investment in Wells Fargo, since the bank is cutting costs to spite its long term goals. If your only goal is to make money, good for you, but you make it from your customers and this isnt the type of service that pleases customers.

Sincerely,