AT&T - AT&T ETF bait-and-switch

Posted on Thursday, October 28th, 2010 at 5:29pm CDT by ad41e563

Product: FastAccess DSL Direct Promotion

Company: AT&T

Location: 208 S. Akard St.
Dallas, TX, 75202, US

URL: http://att.com/

AT&T appears to be running a bait-and-switch with its FastAccess DSL Direct promotion.

I signed up for FastAccess DSL Direct 6.0M at a promotional monthly price of $19.95 from this URL:

At the bottom of the first box highlighting this service are the words "No term commitment."

Despite this, when I called AT&T to cancel my service, it informed me that a $150 early-termination fee would be charged. I spoke to three representatives (after being disconnected from the first), including a supervisor.

I tediously recited the URL address to the supervisor, pointing out to her where on the page the words "No term commitment" clearly appear, to which she replied she saw no such thing and that they were not on the page she was looking at.

AT&T insisted the service I signed up for had a term and stated I will be billed the $150 early-termination fee after canceling the service today.

I also read aloud to the representatives Section 5(a) titled "Early Termination Fee" of the Terms of Service AT&T mailed me, which reads: "When you purchased the Service, you agreed to a specific price and plan, which may have included a term. You agree that if you cancel your plan before the end of the term, you will pay the early termination fee associated with that plan. If you did not sign up for a term plan, the term for you Service will be month-to-month."

I informed AT&T I would dispute any early-termination charge as it would be in violation of the customer agreement and the law, but am disgusted at what appears to be a blatant bait-and-switch, to which other consumers should be alerted.