Access America - Access America Travel Insurance

Company: Access America

Location: 2805 N. Parham Rd
Richmond, VA, 2294, US

URL: http://www.accessamerica.com/

I am a travel agent and have been selling this insurance for many years. They offer a policy which is supposed to be a "perk" for agents that covers all travel for a year. I purchased this in May 2010. I never thought more about it and went ahead and planned a trip for us for October. I got very sick 2 weeks before and only then did they advise me that the policy I purchased does not cover trip cancellation. It begs the questions: HOW IS THIS POLICY A PERK! AND WHY WOULD ANYONE BUY SUCH A POLICY since cancellation is precisely what you are trying to cover???? They are completely denying the claim and I am out $5000. Their own information says cancellation is covered but now that I look at it, the policy does not. What a fraud this is and I would feel responsible if they had done this to any of my clients. Please file this so others do not fall into this trap...

43fb77b3, 2010-10-19, 10:57AM CDT

Thanks for your comment. The product you're referring to is a Professional Travel Product which is not offered to the general public. It is designed for travel professionals who are traveling on agency business and do not require trip cancellation benefits. Many travel agents like this product because it provides "post-departure" benefits for one year at a very low cost. Trip interruption, travel delay, medical and evacuation coverage as well as 24/7/365 travel assistance make it a great product for travel professionals who are traveling on agency business. For personal travel, I can suggest a number of great products that offer trip cancellation for covered reasons such as illness and injury.

Best Wishes,

Daniel Durazo

Access America

f1014919, 2010-10-29, 11:15AM CDT

This policy was NOT sold to me with that description attached and my copy says trip cancellation IS covered albeit at a very low level. You owe me that money NOW!!!

22fb144d, 2011-06-17, 08:27PM CDT

The response is not true. I am not a travel agent. I bought a policy from these people. When the travel agent canceled the trip due to lack of participation, I filed a claim. On the letter attached to the policy it says trip cancellation $11,000. However, my claim was denied. They said this is not an acceptable reason. Seems to me this is the main reason one buys travel insurance. Wish I could make this well known so others do not fall into the trap of this company. I am out $9700.