Barnette's Remanufactured Engines - Barnette's engine rebuild ripoff

Company: Barnette's Remanufactured Engines

Location: 1332 Truxton Street
CHESAPEAKE, VA, 23324, US

Category: Cars, Motorcycles, Boats, Vehicles

Engine had a bad valve on the driver side when it arrived from them. Then the head gasket on the left side failed after 100 miles. Their workmanship is poor and they don't honor their work, word, or the warranty. They don't want to talk after the sale. I do not recommend them.

66c4ca42, 2011-02-20, 08:08AM CST

Beware of Barnette engines. Warranty seems to always be blame installer, then claim no fault, so customer pays more money. They do not stand behind their products or have any kind of certified technical staff on hand. They are either in way over their heads with all the new OHC motors they are trying to build or just rip off artists. Maybe both? There are a lot of better places to get your engine from.

d06c47a1, 2012-03-06, 07:22AM CST

Head Gaskets failed in less than 1,000 miles. Engine overheated due to sudden coolant loss and the Heat Tabs Barnette's installed melted immediately. They refused to make good on the 5 year warranty they advertise with the rebuild because of these melted heat tabs, their way out. This happened due to a poor fit between the block and heads. Barnette's do not perform a running test on their engines before they send them out so they have no way of knowing the condition of these engines.

STAY AWAY FROM BARNETTE'S!!!!

Chuck C., 2012-12-03, 03:52PM CST

I purchased an engine from Barnettes in Aug of 2010. Almost immediately after installation it began making an intermittent rattling noise. It would on occasion get so loud that people thought I had a diesel engine in it. But the noise would come and go, and Barnettes told me that unless I was sure it was thier engine they weren't responsible. I did take it back to the installer, but it was intermittent and they could not duplicate it. I drove the car for a little over a year with the intermittent noise. In 2011 and with just over 15000 miles on it the engine began overheating. My mechanic changed a thermostat. It overheated again the next week. I changed the radiator cap and it would still overheat. I called Barnettes and told them about the overheating problem and reiterated teh noise problem. Joyce (I think she is the lady that runs interference for Mr. Barnett) decided that she was a better mechanic than mt mechanic and said she would send me another new thermostat. When that thermostat didn't arrive after a couple of weeks, I bought another thermostat. The car would still overheat after about 18 to 20 miles, and the way it would ovewrheat was always the same. The car would be running normally with the temp in the normal range and then at the 18 to 20 mile from home mark the temp would climb suddenly just like the thermostat had slammed shut. I caslled Barnetts again and Joyce apologized and said she didn't understand why the thermostat didn't make it but that she would send another one. While I was waiting I was told by a mechanic to remove the thermostat and drill a small hole in it. Saying if it quit overheating it would indicate a leak in the head or in the head gasket. I did, and it quit overheating. The the thermostat that Barnetts sent arived. I took it to my mechanic (the same mechanic that installed the engine) and they put in the Barnett thermostat, changed teh radiator, put on a new water pump (oh did I mention that when they installed the engine I had a new water pumop, a new heater core, and all new belts and hoses installed) and it still would overheat at about the 20 mile mark. They had the car for a month or two and could never figure out the problem. SO after spending another 500 bucks I still had an engine that made an occasional rattling noise and would overheat unless the thermostat had a small hole in it. So I did the only thing I could do. I drove it with the small hole in the thermostat. About 6 months later it quit running. It would turn over rapidly like there was no compression. I called Barnettes and they said to take it to a mechanic, and that they would pay up to an hour labor for troubleshooting. I took it to a different mechanic this time, they removed the valve cover and found a broken timing chain. The timing chain guid had broken off, jammed in the chain, and cuased the chain to break. You could see where the chain had been banging on the guide. SO now I know where the noise was coming from. They called Barnetts and Joyce told them to remove the engine, put it on a pallet and that they would have their shipper come pick it up. I called Joyce to see if she needed anything from me. She said no and that they would take care of it. When I asked how long it would take them, she said a week. I asked her if there were going to be any suprises. She assured me that they would fix it and send it back. A couple of weeks later and when I hadn't heard anything from them, I called them. Joyce said they had just received the engine, but that they would get on it and she'd let me know how long the repair was going to take before the day was over. Several days later I called her. This time she said they were tearing the engine down and would have a parts list soon and that as soon as they did she would call me back with an estimated time for getting the engine back. Another week passes and I call again. Now I'm told that the heat tabs were melted and since the engine overheated they would have to get back to me. After at least a dozen more calls with no real answer, I asked to talk with the owner, but they said he was out sick. I had my wife call later that day and just ask to talk to Mr. Barnett. She was told they were sorry but he had just left for lunch. Then she called back about anhour later and she was told he didn't come back after lunch becuase he wasn't feelin well. I finally got through to him a full three days later. He to kept on making excuses but would never say he wasn't going to fix the engine. He wanted to talk to the installer. then he wanted to talk to the mechanics that took the engine out. I finally pushed him to tell me if they were going to or not going to fix my motor, he told me no. He also said that I had to pay the shipping to get the motor back and that they were not going to pay the mechanics that removed the engine per their instructions. My plan is to file suit against them and if any out there have had similar experiences please contact me. I don't know how people like this sleep at night. DO NOT BUY AN ENGINE FROM BARNETTS! THEY REFUSE TO STAND BEHIND THEIR WORK!!!

Marny S., 2013-03-29, 05:41PM CDT

I have some important information if you are interested in getting the Attorney Generals Office in Virginia involved with your complaint here is what you need to do.. Go to this site http://epm.virginiainteractive.org/consumercomplaints/consumerComplaintForm.aspx and fill out the online complaint form, you can attach pictures but I recommend you wait until your investigator gets in touch with you and then you can email them to him directly. Also you will want to send a hard copy to the investigator and you will want to do return receipt, the investigator only has two complaints, we need more complaints before we can get the Attorney general to take us seriously. Please call me at 989-712-8328 or respond to this message. Thanks Marny Sarra

Robert L., 2015-01-25, 07:04AM CST

I also bought a re manufactured engine and was not happy with the results,you can follow e-mail string(below) and you can make your own decision if you think this is a company that you would like to do business with,I am a firm believer a company is evaluated from how they deal with an issue,and I feel they left me the customer with the bill.............

Dan,(1st e-mail sent 12/18/2014)

I am reaching out to you once again regarding the engine replacement/warranty issue for my 2000 Dodge Durango. This issue has been ongoing since August and has not been resolved to my satisfaction. It is beyond frustrating that you and your company have handled this issue the way you have. In my opinion, it seems you have handled this issue with minimum care and effort. I am a paying customer and I deserve the time and attention it takes to correct this problem. I have placed numerous calls to you and left numerous messages for you and I have always had to follow up with you instead of you making this priority and getting back to me in a timely manner. I feel that I have been more than patient and cooperative with you and your company, and I have not received the same in return. I also feel that there has been a lack of professionalism on your end. The last thing you told me when you and I spoke last week that you were going to send me a package containing the test results from your engineer in regards to the engine, I still have not received the package and considering the severity of the issue and the ongoing lack of communication, I would have thought you would have sent it priority mail. To remind you again this issue has been ongoing since August. Four months have gone by and this issue still has not been resolved. If I do not receive satisfaction by end of day Friday December 19, 2014 then I will be taking legal action against you and your company and will also be filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

Regretfully so,

Bob Laurenti

216-078-2597

Bob,(response 12/19/2014)

I received your email this morning.

Lack of time and attention?, If I missed any calls, I apologize for that as I have not been in the office much

the last 2 weeks, I am still battling the FLU, however that sir, is not your problem.

You purchased your engine in 2012, you had a part failure in May of 2014, at which time we handled the repair

and did the reimbursement of funds to you as outlined in our warranty.

This second incident if you recall, you son was on the way to the dealership for another issue with his

vehicle, unrelated to the engine, but what happened after that has never been clear.

Regardless, we, my staff and I spent countless hours on the phone with the dealership attempting to get to the

root cause of the issue, listening to their constantly changing story, erroneous test result, appearing and

disappearing ECM codes, compression jumping from cylinder to cylinder, and general lack of professionalism.

The vehicle is in South Dakota, we are in Virginia. In any warranty situation the mechanic is our eyes and

ears if they cannot effectively communicate what is actually happening on site, we are at a loss.

Again, out of total frustration I sent an independent inspector to the dealership, where he diagnosed it as a blown head gasket. Do you mean to tell me that a shop full of ASC mechanics could not diagnose a blown head gasket?

Can anyone explain why the ECM had no codes, other than the cat code in history?

Any mechanic will tell you that a blown head gasket, would cause a misfire, the water going past the gasket

simply causes a misfire....nothing made sense.

I absorbed the cost for that too.

and shipped it back , with all the parts to make the repair, when there was no problem found! ALSO

at my expense.

I am not doing enough?, here is the question Bob, what is (did) the dealership doing (do)?

They are so ready to condemn the engine, It only had a problem AFTER your son brought it in for an unrelated

issue, and they forced it to start, did any of this occur.

Regarding the head gasket, The engineers report clearly stated the the head gasket was damaged prior

to installation, do they not look at parts before installing? The gasket sets are taped and look at the pictures

I have attached, that looks like a cut in the gasket, but I can't be sure and am not accusing, just noting.

Then I also sent you 275.00, to help with the labor.

We are not the bad guys here, we have been working with all parties involved, spent hours working

on this, paid MORE money than our warranty states, all for a problem we did not create.

I can't make you change your mind, I can only ask that you look at the facts, as I have stated them to

you once again, with the hope you will look to the mechanics that were hands on throughout the process.

proceedings, I will defend my company and myself then.

Bob,(response 0n 12/22/2014 you will have to read carefully,responses are built into email string)

I received your email this morning.

Response-Through the whole process I had to make several calls to get any answers / updates, I was told I was going to get updates and it just did not happen, poor customer service to a customer with a problem, another example, I called on December 17th and Joyce answered the call and stated you were at lunch (NOT SICK) and she would have you call me on your return, no call-but you know what the funny thing is, I received a check in the mail on Saturday the 20th of December for the $275.00 which had a date of the 17th(the date I left you a message) on the envelope in which I was supposed to receive a package with all the findings from the week before that you were going to mail out, which I still have not received?

and did the reimbursement of funds to you as outlined in our warranty.

Response-Less than 15,000 miles?-I still have to confirm exact mileage?

Response-My son did have his car towed to dealership for an issue, that is correct, from that there was an issue with air compressor, in which was taken care, then it was stated that the car had a miss in engine, and that is where the situation becomes a confusing??? The bottom line with this in my opinion is you hold the warranty for the engine, the burden of proof is on your company, I am the customer stuck directly in the middle, which paid good money for what I thought to be a good product/warranty. There were conversations with what was really happening with information provided from dealership, back in forth so you had a independent company come out to evaluate the vehicle(never seen their findings?), prior to vehicle being taken apart, to determine exactly what was going on or what went on and if there were still conflicting information from their findings(which it appeared from our conversations) you were provided from dealership/ independent company then maybe you should have had another company come out. At the time we all had a conversation(you,myself,and dealership) of the findings and I/dealership was confident that you were taking care of vehicle under warranty, and if that was not the case at the time, my decision to proceed might have been different, I stated right from the beginning I had NO PLANS on paying another dime for repairs based on spending the money for a new engine and then for a repairs with less than 15,000 miles on engine defect.

Response-This in my opinion should have been resolved with the independent company coming out to look at the vehicle on your behalf? Not a customer issue.

Response-Again, you paid for an independent company to come out and be your eyes, where are the results? Not a customer issue.

Again, out of total frustration I sent an independent inspector to the dealership, where he diagnosed it as a blown head gasket. I never seen the results? Do you mean to tell me that a shop full of ASC mechanics could not diagnose a blown head gasket?

Response- I cannot speak for dealership.

Response-I am smart enough to know that with electronics everything is not as it seems, things do happen that cannot be explained. Again that is why you had an independent company look at. Not customer problem.

simply causes a misfire....nothing made sense.

Response-Maybe more needed to be done by independent company, dealership did state that you could have anyone come in and look at vehicle, I stated if you wanted me to have it towed somewhere else, I would consider it.

I absorbed the cost for that too.

Response-The burden of proof is with the company that holds the warranty.

I also sent for the cylinder head, at my expense, had it checked by an independent shop, at my expense-

Response-burden of proof with company in which hold warranty.

Response-Why was a different head sent back for repair if there were no problem found?

ALSO

at my expense. You hold the warranty,

Response-I would expect that

Response-In my opinion you hold the warranty and burden of proof. Put your shoes on the other foot, and I ask you in your honest opinion, have I really been taken care of from your company, since August really??

issue, and they forced it to start, did any of this occur.

Response-I would only thought that with a independent company that anything in question would have been resolved.

Regarding the head gasket, The engineers report clearly stated the head gasket or surface of head was damaged prior

to installation, do they not look at parts before installing?

Response-If this to be the case, I would have expected that you would have taken care of your customer/warranty, due to it was the product you sent to be used on the warranty, and then have conversation with the dealership, due to you hold the warranty on the engine.

The gasket sets are taped and look at the pictures

Response-I have not seen any pictures?

Response- Issue that needed to be brought with dealership.

Then I also sent you 275.00, to help with the labor.

Response-There is a bill for $1,100.00,I would expected at the time it was determined the head was being taken apart and sent back to you that the cost was going to be absorbed by your company due to you have the warranty on the engine and the burden of proof, and if there were any findings that you had after having everything evauated,that you took it up with the dealership, not leaving a customer out pay??

Response-I am into taking servicing customers myself for over thirty plus years, I would never have left my customer out there way I was left, never-there is always a cost in doing business, by just doing the right thing, all I ever asked was to be taken care of based on paying for your product/warranty.

Response- I believe you hold the warranty and burden of proof.

If you feel that I have not done enough, and are compelled to file a complaint with the BBB, or start legal-

Response-I have delayed my actions due to your response and hopeful the right thing still to be done.

proceedings, I will defend my company and myself then. It is about doing the right thing by your customer.

Response-I will be sending back the $275.00,it appears that it needed by your company.

Response-Do you think you have taken care of a customer, the way you would expect to be taken care of?

Response- I live by treat people the way that I would want to be treated, is that what you think has been done? Thanks

(my response from not getting any response 1/22/2014)

Well again no response, but I came to realize that with your company and the type of service that I received or DID NOT receive, with me always having to track someone down to find out responses/updates.

Here is my update, I reviewed with legal counsel, even though I have a strong case ,with all the information that was provided by you and the information from the dealership,(ie., the head did not have any problems but you shipped a different head out, leaking cylinder, which was tested by dealership, which was never stated in any of your emails, are a few examples), the cost of lawyer and going to court outweighs the cost of the repair, with that being said I will not return the check for the $275.00,I will use it to pay the dealership for the repairs that they were made and I will pay the rest.

I will file a complaint with the BBB office and do the things I need to insure that others know the type of service to expect/that I received and let them determine if that is the type of service they would expect.

Again I ask......

Thanks

This is my experience with Barnette's,I ask you would you liked to be serviced this way?

27849995, 2015-06-10, 08:31AM CDT

I bought an engine from them - it failed in 15 miles

I had to pay to have it shipped back to fix their mistake. When they got the engine they then called me and said it would cost $1800 to fix claiming that there was a little rust on it and it woudl have to be rebuilt - it was obviously a scam to get more money out of me to cover the cost to fix THEIR Mistake. I refused to pay them any more money . I never received an engine back. I am out $5000. This business is a scam - stay away