Ancestry.com - Tactless communications

Company: Ancestry.com

Location: 360 West 4800 North
Provo, UT, 84604, US

URL: http://Ancestry.com/

I've visited Ancestry.com in the past after hearing about it and have somehow gotten myself on their email list. I never took notice of it and have forgotten about the site completely until...

My father passed away 3 months ago, it devastated my family. As we cope aand attempt to pick up our lives without my father, I received this tactless and crude email from Ancestry.com's yesterday:

Dear Christine,

Great news. Weve found historical records that could help you discover more about your ancestors and grow your family tree, Lu Family Tree.

Be sure to view the following Ancestry.com Hint:

Name:

Joe Qingzheng Lu

Weve found a potential match in this collection:

Social Security Death Index

View

There may be even more hints for you to explore.

See all the people in your tree with hints.

Youll see Ancestry.com Hints in your tree any time we think weve found new information for you. Remember, the more details you provide in your family tree, the more hints we can provide from our billions of historical records and the more youll learn about your family history. Discover your family story now by reviewing your hint.

Sincerely,

Your friends at Ancestry.com

You can imagine how horrific it was for me to read this email that started with "Great News". It is extremely insensitive considering my father's death was very recent. It's a cruel joke only it isn't a joke at all.

I understand Ancestry.com's key service is to try to locate historic roots for people. However, some info should not be used in marketing campaigns. I felt greatly insulted.

I tried to email them on their site to let them know of this communication. Unfortunately, they ask me to register to be a member in order to email them.

Please post my complaint so the company can attempt to rectify this issue.

Sincerely,

Christine

33ab0ab1, 2011-09-05, 08:02PM CDT

July 4, 2010 I signed up for the 2 week free trial. When my visa bill came I had a charge of almost $300 for ancestry. I called. They said I hadn't cancelled and thought I would enjoy upgrading to international ancestry.com