GreenGeeks - What hosting?

Posted on Tuesday, May 25th, 2010 at 4:10am CDT by a0d0e1fd

Product: Shared Hosting

Company: GreenGeeks

Location: GreenGeeks 1158 26th Street, Suite 446 Santa Monica, CA 90403
Santa Monica, Ca, 90403, US

URL: http://www.greengeeks.com

I'll have to give a little backstory in order for this to make sense:

I had been with this hosting company for nearly five months and have dealt with this horrible service - servers continually had horrible ping times if not went completely down - horrible support - I was upsold to every time I went to complain that my users weren't able to access my website and/or the downtimes I spotted on Integro - and horrible management - this is coming in a moment.

Every day my users would experience some sort of lag and even some days some loss as to data. I complained about this for months, every chance and opportunity I had.

Did I mention that also every time I complained, I was given the same "the server is fine - pay 100+$$ for a VPS if you don't want to deal with this" treatment? This is the upsale I was talking about. No one would admit to any problem or even listen to what I had to say. Regardless of my admin/netadmin experience.

So it eventually came to filling a complaint to the BBB over these issues, being that I was promised 99.9% uptime[!], that their servers hardly ever went down . . . the usual lines.

Finally, after arguing with the "the servers are fine and you're past your 30 day money back guarantee" crap - can you believe they actually said that in my response to my BBB's complaint too? - they finally issued me a refund . . . sans 25$$. The 'fee for registering a domain name'. When everyone else charges 10$$. Anyway, that isn't even the worst of it. Not a very short time after I receive this email did they completely cut off my service. No grabbing my domain name, no backing up my website, no backing up my database. No access, period.

Fine. Whatever. I ask them for my backups, they say "this goes to support". That's fine. Or it would have been had I not already requested my domain unlocked and my epp key so I can move my business - yes, this is my domain for my internet business - to another host. Apparently these people are playing sore with me since at this point in time (right now) the only thing they've managed to do is merge my tickets and basically reprimand me for having more than one ticket.

No matter that I asked for my backups. Doesn't matter to them. My domain? Doesn't matter. Creating a ticket in their support center and a ticket in their billing center, who contacted me in the first place? Horrible! How could I? No matter that I was told in their live chat to request my domain unlocked through support.

So I'm still waiting on my backups/domain to be unlocked so I can move my business, which has been down since this started, to another host.

Don't ever go with this company if you want any kind of decent support. Or even lousy. They didn't seem to listen to me, at least.

9e1fb893, 2010-05-25, 12:05PM CDT

This is Trey Gardner - CEO of Green Geeks replying to this complaint.

The server which this customer was on did not have the downtime which she claims and we have the server records for it.

As far as an "upsell" we don't sell VPS service or dedicated servers and we dont upsell our clients to larger more expensive packages.

This client repeatedly claimed she wanted her service closed and refunded and even though she was past our 30 day money back guarantee and we had tried repeatedly to work with her to show our servers were not down as she claims we decided to refund her less the domain cost.

If we refund an account we charge $24.95 for a domain name not only because we incurred a registration fee (which we value to the client at $10) but we also need to help the client manage the transfer and pointing of the dns for them so they can move their domain name and have it hosted elsewhere, which we have valued at $14.95.

As per our terms the clients are responsible for backing up their site files, emails, etc. prior to requesting cancellation of their account, I am sorry that this client did not.

Her domain name's epp code was provided to her within a few hours of her request so that she could move her domain name to another hosting company.

Trey

289d17eb, 2014-06-17, 11:22PM CDT

I use greengeeks shared hosting and it is horrible. Anytime I visit my site it's not loading on the first attempt. Pingdom site monitoring shows the up time is 96%, and that the site is down for around 2 hours every week. Customer service keeps denying the problem on their end. I know what the problem is, greengeeks shared hosting is oversold and thus over capacity, just come out and admit it you crooks. You advertise 99% up time!