Amsterdam Airport Schiphol - Abusive Immigration Officer

Company: Amsterdam Airport Schiphol

Location: Luchthaven Schiphol Postbus 7501 1118 ZG Schiphol Nederland
Amsterdam, NL

URL: http://www.schiphol.nl/

I was on a KLM flight from Singapore to Warsaw with a transfer in Amsterdam on September 7, 2009. I was having headache throughout the flight, but my flight landed successfully on Amsterdam Schiphol Airport at 5:50am in the morning. I double checked my bag, but more importantly, my visa and other important documents to make sure I had everything required in order pass through the immigration. Let me remind you that I was still having a headache and my nose was blocked.

Nothing happened until I got to the immigration officer. He took a good look at me and started laughing with the other officers. Seconds later I was called to stand nearby the office while taking all my important documents for further inspection. At this point, I only had 2 more hours left before my flight to Warsaw takes off. So I became nervous as to what the hell is wrong. After an hour of standing and having no possibility of using the restroom, I was called in by one of the female immigration officers to interrogate me about my visit to Warsaw, Poland. She spoke English to me and told me to sit down near the room where everyone was watching.

Later on, she picked up the phone and started speaking Dutch and then she handed over the phone to me. I was surprised to hear a woman speaking mandarin over the phone. It turns out that the immigration officer had called a translation service to translate between English and Mandarin. I was furious, since the officer had just spoken to me in English a few minutes earlier. I explained the situation to the woman on the phone, and we started conversing in English without any translator.

She proceeded to interrogate me and the last question she asked was whether I had enough money for my stay in Warsaw. Of course, I said I have more than enough money. She then demanded to see the money, so I handed to her my 270 Euros in my wallet. She gave me back my money and then concluded that I do not have enough money for my stay and therefore I cannot continue the rest of my journey. I got really nervous, frustrated and angry regarding the whole nasty situation that I assured her I do have enough money for my stay. After a few minutes of silence, she then asked if I have anything else I could show her to prove that I do have enough money. I said I could show my bank account balance and so I did go to one of their Internet terminals and had to log in to my bank account to show them my balance. Finally, that was when they let me go to my next flight.

I was not happy how I was treated. This is racism and ignorance on their part and I am simply not going to sit here and let them get away with the treatment I got at the Amsterdam Airport. Yes, I have a Taiwan ROC passport and I am Taiwanese, but I speak perfect English with an American accent since I was educated in the United States, but regardless of the situation, nobody should assume anything about anyone. The immigration officers at the Amsterdam Schiphol Airport have made their choices to abuse me and they should be fired from their job.

Angry B., 2015-07-09, 08:31AM CDT

Today I lodged a complaint report against an immigration officer for his unprofessional conduct during my short stay two months ago, May 2015, at the amsterdam schiphol airport to catch my transit flight to Germany as my final destination .

The incident took place when i approached the departure counter of the immigration department around half an hour before the boarding time of the transit flight during which i also made some shopping.

After I presented my passport and my electronic print-out of my boarding pass the male immigration officier in the age of around 40 frowned at me and asked "who bought you this ticket?" I therefore responded that my transaction was made through e-banking system and in fact the very payment record was also displayed in the document print-out. Yet, his skeptics persisted and asked ?what do you do? Where and how did you meet your German friend? Do you have any proof or invitation from him?? Basically, I tried my best to explain my purpose, itinerary of travel and the background and relationship with my German friend in details. Nevertheless, I really didn't have any written letter of invitation that he required as a proof to defense myself. The moment was followed by his authoritative attitude and change in gesture by posturing his body from sitting upright to leaning against his chairarm and questioned me that??Do you know who I am?... Do you know what my job is ?..." Immediately, i felt this question was absurd and confusing for it should be his duty to present his identity as well as his responsibilty. Besides, this is utterly irrelevent to the purpose my trip. Still,not at ease,I told me more about my occupation in Hong Kong as a nurse but regretably he charged me another illogical question which i found absolutely unsound and outrageous: " what would bring a hong Kong nurse to visit a farm in Germany?? You can stay in hong Kong and visit a farm too, why come to Europe??

Not only was such a probing only telling me his hostility instead of hospitality to foreign visitors in general but it was illogical. For if that was true, all visitors without any occupational relations with farmers would be suspicious.

I eventually was escorted to their department station for further investigation, they checked my private messages with my German friend in Whatapps and claimed they had tried to made a phone call to verify his existence and that call was in fact faked according to my friend's phone record about history of in-coming calls. Ironically,the incident ended up in the?"Can u show me how much (money) you bring for this trip?"

No evidence speaks louder than cash, I took the euro out of the wallet and let them count the bank notes one by one before they put me through their their gate.

I by all means respect the procedural rationality but I must refuse the inappropriate conduct which was compromised by personal value orientation. Unwarrented skeptism and mistrust do not always follow the deterrence of transnational illegal acts.

All I tried to tell them is that his misjudgment could provoke unnecessary emotional stress and therefore victimize innocent tourists.