Golds Gym - Contracts

Company: Golds Gym

Location: 1605 Regency Road
Cedar City, UT, 84720, US

URL: http://goldsgym.com/

My mother was approached by the local marketing represenative for a Gold's Gym box in her store; the Flying J on 200 N. The marketing guy named Cody told her she would be eligible for 3 months free membership called the "box membership". She told him that she liked the current gym she went too but I (her daughter) would like to do the box membership. So I went in and told Kelsee that I would like to sign up for the 3 free month box membership and that the box was in my mothers store. She continued to talk to me about random things such as the daycare program and tanning, but I am currently 8 months pregnant and was 4 months at the time of our meeting. So therefore I did not have a child yet and obviously couldn't go tanning. After a half an hour of random useless chatter she then asked me for my billing info and I once again made myself clear and told her that I did not want a membership I just wanted to do the 3 free months. She told me that in order to get my Gold's card she needed me to sign a contract and receive my billing info but I would not be charged. Which I later found out that she didn't even have me sign the right contract, she had me sign a full contract for 2 years without my knowledge. I had made myself perfectly clear that I did not want to pay any money and that I could not afford to have a gym membership, I just wanted the box membership.

So now 3 months later 27 some odd dollars was taken out of my checking account. I called the billing number that was listed on my bank statement and they looked up my account and told me that I had signed a full 2 year contract. So my husband called the local gym and asked to talk to Kelsee and she refused his phone call and had my husband talk to the receptionist, who was actually very wonderful to us and she is the only one I can say that about. He told her our story and she couldnt believe it so she told him to have me come down to the gym and to bring my mom. So we went down to talk to them and she told us that Kelsee would not come out of her office to confront me, but that this other man would try to help me. All he did was tell me that he can show me what I signed and that there was nothing he could do and that Kelsee is their number 1 sales rep and would never lie or con someone into a contract. Then he topped off the conversation by lying to me and telling me that Kelsee was not in today but he could go talk to Lindsey. After he left the receptionist told us that Kelsee would not come out of her office and that we should just walk in there if we wanted to talk to her. So he then comes back out of Kelsee's office, not Lindsey's, and tells us that there is nothing Lindsey can do about it and that I need to call corporate. So my mom then walked into her office and confronted her while I stayed out and talked to the very unprofessional manager, who continued to tell me I needed to call the main office and that Kelsee was great and that she didn't do anything wrong. After we finally left that ridiculous place I then sat on the phone for 4 hours and left numerous messages on answering machines until I finally got through to someone. All he could tell me was that the good news is that my contract says Box Membership at the top but he needs to have his supervisor over look it. Crazy enough the supervisor is never there and he has called 2 days in a row now to tell me that she is not in at the moment, and now she will not be in until Monday.

I am completely irate with the way we have been treated by this company. I obviously was way too trusting with this Kelsee girl and I just assumed that after she had heard me say several times that I didnt want a membership I just wanted the 3 free months that thats what she would have had me sign up for. Instead she took complete advantage of me and conned me into a 2 year agreement just so that she could make her commission for the day!

My husband and I have tried to be patient and we even called our local gym once more today (6-8-2010) to see if there was anything they could do for us one more time before we were forced to contact the Better Business Borough. The manager was completely rude and didnt even try to help at all, he continued to stick up for Kelsee and not pay any attention to the things my husband was trying to tell him. He told him he didnt care if we contacted the Better Business Borough and then got off the phone with us. After seeing your score with the Business Borough I can understand why he didnt care, it really cant get much worse than an F.