Fun and Function Renovations, Su Casa Homes - Fun and Function Renovations - Buyer Beware! I had a terrible experience with this Calgary bathroom renovation company!

Posted on Wednesday, June 23rd, 2010 at 12:41am CDT by 2eaa5955

Company: Fun and Function Renovations, Su Casa Homes

Location: 112 - 4th Street NE PO BOX 31074 Calgary, AB
Calgary, Al, T2E 9A3, CA

URL: http://www.Calgarybathrooms.ca/

Fun and Function Renovations A Calgary Bathroom Renovation Disaster! I am wishing I could go back in time and NOT have hired Pete Palffy's Calgary bathroom renovation company www.Calgarybathrooms.ca or Calgary Fun and Function Renovations Calgary.

You have all heard the stories before. Shoddy workmanship, contractor disappears when there are problems on the job, will not come back, does not keep his word, job takes longer than it was supposed to, etc. Well, if you do not want to hear yourself telling your friends about your nightmare renovation, then keep looking and hire someone else.

I had Pete Palffy from www.Calgarybathrooms.ca or Calgary Fun and Function Renovations do some renovations, remodelling for us in 2009. He makes all sorts of promises on his website - www.Calgarybathrooms.ca , promises 10 year warranties, extraordinary customer service, says he can do just about anything. Do not believe it!

Imagine having him install a new exterior door and have it function so poorly you wish you had your 30 year old, crappy door back because it closed. Imagine your dogs and children running in and out of your house all day long because the back door he installed is opened repeatedly, daily, by the wind! Actually, just a light breeze will do it and he will not come back and look at it!

Imagine your horror as you come home from work to survey the work completed that day and realize he did not use proper drop sheets and your built in shelving and your daughter's new bedroom furniture, and your hardwood are all rough and covered in paint overspray from him painting the ceilings. And him doing nothing about it.

Imagine walking downstairs everyday wondering why your banister is looking so beat up and then realizing its because he was damaging it every day passing material through it because he was too lazy to protect your homes surfaces. Then imagine him telling you how he will fix that for you but never does.

Imagine telling him you wanted your new bedroom carpets protected while he worked (which he sometimes did) and then coming upstairs to see your hardwood in your hallway completely covered in heavy tools and materials with no drop sheets (I am sure using drop sheets is second nature to most contractors, but not at Fun and Function Renovations).

Imagine Pete Palffy accusing you and your husband of turning the hinges UPSIDE DOWN on the interior doors he just installed! Outrageous! Imagine closing those bedroom doors and seeing light coming though the sides and tops of the doors, WHEN THEY ARE CLOSED. Imagine even passing paper through the sides of those CLOSED doors he installed for you. Imagine peering through the cracks of the doors, when they are closed, and seeing into the rooms. This is all perfectly acceptable workmanship at Fun and Function Renovations.

Imagine him installing new hardwood in your family room and realizing he has dropped a tool on it while working during installation and then you ask him to replace the board. Instead of replacing the board he uses a color pen on the hole hoping you will not notice until it is too late. And you are then left hoping the furniture will cover it up. And imagine your sadness when you have another hardwood installer over later on, and he shakes his head and points out the crappy hardwood install with visible, and unnecessary nails everywhere and you wish you could just have your old crappy carpet back in the room, and you wonder why how you got tricked into accepting the overall poor workmanship throughout your house from Fun and Function Renovations.

Imagine your shower door he supplied and installed leaking in less than 6 months but he won???t come look at it because he does not warranty materials he does not supply. But he actually did supply and install your shower door. Do not believe the 10 year warranty advertised on his website. He will not honour it! What else on his website www.Calgarybathrooms.ca is he lying about?

Imagine having to figure out yourself, how a bathroom cabinet is supposed to be installed (yes, YOU figure that out, the height it is supposed to be at, where it gets centred on the wall, etc.) because he just took your beautiful custom built bathroom cabinet and slapped it up on the wall and it looks ridiculous because its not in the right place and he does not know where it is supposed to be installed. Instead of letting the custom cabinet supplier do the install, you have Fun and Function Renovations install it for you. After all, Pete Palffy's speciality is bathroom renovations right? And that is whenyou really start to get worried. And later when you do a close inspection you can wonder how he managed to scratch the side of the cabinet too.

And then you question your wisdom again, in hiring Fun and Function Renovations, when he breaks your super expensive, super high quality, Kohler toilet paper holder while installing it because he tried to bend it? And then looks at you like it is your fault and your problem.

And then imagine that for the last 10 months you have patiently, politely, repeatedly contacted Pete Palffy from Calgary Fun and Function Renovations www.Calgarybathrooms.ca to please come back out to your house so you can discuss the issues and show him the areas that need addressing, and then imagine being completely ignored because that is what he does - takes your money and you get left with his shoddy workmanship. He might as well have left town for all you care, because he is not coming back! You even try the Calgary Better Business Bureau to help you resolve your issues with Fun and Function Renovations but he still makes no attempt at resolving the matter. You try everything a reasonable, patient person can do and get absolutely no where.

Or, you know what? Why not just imagine your dream bathroom renovation, steam shower, infloor heating, painting project, kitchen remodelling turning out beautifully because you hired someone else? You can have that beautiful renovation if you do not hire Pete Palffy from Calgary Fun and Function Renovations. Or you can be one of the long list of unhappy customers left in the wake of Fun and Function Renovations.

I hate to post such a negative review, but I really think that others should be aware that if there are any problems on your job from Fun and Function Renovations, and there likely will be, Pete Palffy will completely ignore you and not even come back out to look at the work in question. I only wanted him to address these issues as any good business man would, but because he has ignored me for so long, and left me suffering with the shoddy workmanship, I feel helpless in resolving this issue any other way. Big job or small job, I strongly advise others to not hire Fun and Function Renovations in Calgary www.Calgarybathrooms.ca , it is just not worth the heartache. At Calgary Fun and Function Renovations, Pete Palffy is happy to slap your bathroom renovation together, take your money, and then you will never see or hear from him again.

bdbbf541, 2010-06-25, 12:00AM CDT

I am Pete Palffy, owner of F&F Renovations.

I wrote this one letter to reply to every negative post this crazy women writes. Then I will submit the same letter only once to every site necessary. I won't play any he said she said games with anyone. I spend my nights with my totally hot girlfriend and I have no time for this garbage. Perhaps Melanie Lumsden should try to find more time for romance, maybe then she wouldn't be so crabby...

It is obvious that Melanie has more issues than a news stand.

They received at least one quote from another company for renovating the house. It was too expensive for them so she decided she will contract the jobs herself:

They hired people they never even met from a temp agency to work in their home and to assist me. (they did this through their Company, Clearview Plumbing AKA The Punctual Plumber, something I would be telling Revenue Canada if I was bored like her, totally unlawful.)

Hired a roofer from KIJIJI

To cut cost, she supplied materials for the jobs, lots of wrong ones, she ordered prehung doors but instead of the door size she ordered the rough opening size so all doors were too small for the openings, things like that. They pay contractors working on their house from their company account, probably to cheat the taxes, again something CRA would love to know about. She knows little or nothing about renovations, we tiled a beautiful shower stall for her, she didn't like it and asked us to rip it out again, but then she hired an Interior Designer who told her that it was beautiful and so she asked us some days after to leave it, she likes it now. Totally spaced out. Didn't pay the final invoice in full. They dropped the speakers from the bookshelf on the brand new hardwood floor, that's why the floor is damaged. And the list goes on. But the best is coming now, here is the letter I received from Melanie Lumsden some time after we left the premises, together with a list of comments from a variety of our customers:

"We have had Pete of Fun and Function Renovations work at our house a few times in the past 4 years. We recently had a lot of work done in our house by Pete and his team. Some of the things they did was renovate 3 bathrooms top to bottom, install interior and exterior doors, install windows and trim, install new closet doors and baseboards, install hardwood and slate flooring, the list goes on. His tile work is top notch and in-floor heating in our ensuite is deluxe!

The original job we hired them to do was a lot smaller when we started out, but we kept adding to the list. In the end we had a very tight timeline to get things finished (had a baby on the way) and Pete and his team worked very hard to make sure everything was completed in time.

It can be intrusive to have someone working in your home, but they were always very respectful of our familys schedule and they always cleaned up at the end of the day. I would recommend their services to anyone who wants a contractor or renovator who really cares about his clients and the finished product. If you want to hire someone you can trust to get the job done right for you call Fun and Function Renovations. You wont be disappointed."

Melanie Lumsden

"Pete, you did a great job and we are very happy and satisfied. I appreciate the casual professionalism of both yourself and your crew and would gladly recommend your company to anyone in the market for a quality renovation at a reasonable cost.

Thanks and best of luck." - Randy & Lisbeth

"It is obvious that you are an honest, seasoned and knowledgeable professional. We're glad to have your company do the renovation here." - Randy Case

"I just wanted you to know that I am very pleased with my shower. Both Ron and David were great and they did an excellent job. Thanks again." - Mike Johnson

Prompt and detailed estimate and a well executed job at a great cost. - Gary and Jamie H.

Great people, great service, you guys really know your trade! Thanks so much for the beautiful job. - T. Duke

Pete, thanks for the lovely bathroom, it turned out beautifully. We really enjoyed having you here. The little gift is for you because we like you. - Gerry and Lynne B.

We are pleased with the steam shower and have used it a few times already. Looks like we will use it the next few snowy days. We will definitely recommend your services to others. - Darrell and Julie A.

The job ended up being quite a bit more work than was initially planned due to poor workmanship on the existing plumbing. Pete explained to us what was needed in terms of time and money, and went right to work fixing the problem. Even with this two day delay they finished the job on time, and on budget. Very impressive!

Pete and his crew were punctual, friendly and non-intrusive (and they cleaned up the mess at the end of each working day - a real plus!). We had complete confidence in them from the start, and that confidence was never shaken. They knew their stuff - plumbing, electrical, framing, dry walling, painting and, most importantly, artistic tiling!

We've been having wonderful steams now for a month and I can't tell you how happy we are! We would recommend Fun and Function Renovations in a second for ANY renovation! - Sherri J / Darryl W

"I have done a few home projects with contractors in the past and the biggest problem is to find a person who truly takes pride in the quality of work which they perform. I had Pete and Natalie come out to do my bathroom which needed much work. They came with a timeline in mind and not only was the project completed on time, they suggested to tile the face and sides of the old fireplace in my living room. The tilework was second to none and transformed an eyesore into a piece of art! The bathroom was taken down to the bare studs and all the drywall removed. I was expecting to be living in a "war zone" until the job was completed.. they cleaned as they went along which made the house livable during the renovation. I would not hesitate to use the services of Fun and Function again and will proudly refer them to my friends and family. Good Work!" - J. Hafner

And there you have it. If anyone has questions or concerns, please contact me from our website, www.calgarybathrooms.ca

And if anyone wants to more about Melanie Lumsden and how she rolls, just google the company they own, "clearview plumbing Calgary" and read the reviews... I thin it speaks for itself.

Now, it's getting late, so time to stop the bickering and have some fun. (wink-wink... :))

God bless everyone!

bdbbf541, 2010-06-26, 09:18PM CDT

I am Pete Palffy, owner of F&F Renovations.

I have previously submitted a rather nasty response to the above comment, that was unprofessional and for this I apologise.

Many thanks to Shannon Wong, member of Homestars website, who has been so very helpful to assist dealing with this mess. I hereby ask the administrator of this site to please remove the previous response posted by Fun and Function renovations as I admit it was an inappropriate and unprofessional way to deal with this.

It is unfortunate, but no company can please every customer. We regulary go above and beyond to earn a good rep and to make everyone happy. To prove this, I have copied a few quotes from our customers that are also posted on our website. It also includes a letter from Melanie Lumsden, contradicting her review above.

It is not my place to bash anyone online or to badmouth their company. I also feel that people must do what they feel is the right thing to do.

For me the right thing to do is to respond with something positive and the comments below are doing just that.

Thanks and best of luck." - Randy & Lisbeth

??Prompt and detailed estimate and a well executed job at a great cost.?? - Gary and Jamie H.

??Great people, great service, you guys really know your trade! Thanks so much for the beautiful job.?? - T. Duke

??Pete, thanks for the lovely bathroom, it turned out beautifully. We really enjoyed having you here. The little gift is for you because we like you.?? - Gerry and Lynne B.

??We are pleased with the steam shower and have used it a few times already. Looks like we will use it the next few snowy days. We will definitely recommend your services to others.?? - Darrell and Julie A.

??Thank you both for a fantastic renovation, we are very pleased with it. We wouldn't hesitate to recommend you or provide a reference." - Charlene

??A couple of months ago we decided that we just couldn't live with our small, dingy bathroom and wanted a change. We came up with a plan (well, let's just say a simple drawing on a napkin!) and proceeded to shop around for a contractor. Pete was one of three that quoted on the bathroom (and we didn't have to wait around for days either - he came over to the house and wrote out an estimate on the spot). He came in with a very fair price, and explained all of the ins and outs to us at the first meeting, including what we would need to provide in terms of materials, and what he would provide for us. We felt such confidence in him from the start that we chose him to take on this renovation.

We've been having wonderful steams now for a month and I can't tell you how happy we are! We would recommend Fun and Function Renovations in a second for ANY renovation!?? - Sherri J / Darryl W

It can be intrusive to have someone working in your home, but they were always very respectful of our family??s schedule and they always cleaned up at the end of the day. I would recommend their services to anyone who wants a contractor or renovator who really cares about his clients and the finished product. If you want to hire someone you can trust to get the job done right for you ?? call Fun and Function Renovations. You won??t be disappointed.

Melanie Lumsden

Thanks again to Shannon who was really cool to offer guidance dealing with this.

God bless everyone.

d146157b, 2011-04-11, 02:56PM CDT

Mr Palfy...you have yet to address the complaint above. ie. how are you going to remedy your clients' concerns. Are you going to take responsibility for how this customer feels and try to come to some sort of equitable solution for all parties. Or are you going to continue to post so called references that are questionable and heresay as you could have typed those yourself. If you truly are an honest person and are concerned for your reputation perhaps you should step up and quit blaming the the customer here. They clearly have some concenrs.

We ran into a similar situation with a company called Trademark Renovations. They have since had their membership revoked with the Canadian Home Builders Association and with Renomark, because of several complaints against their unethical business practices.

I hope you are able to prove this unsatisfied customer wrong and remedy the situation.