ASUS and TCA - A Really Depressing Experience

Posted on Friday, June 11th, 2010 at 3:26am CDT by e06ea9ae

Company: Not Available

Location: PH

April 21, 2010 - I purchased an Asus EeePC 1005P netbook at The Computer Authority (TCA), Festival Mall on using my credit card. It's been working fine until almost a month later.

May 14, 2010 - The netbook stopped working. The screen freezes at the startup screen and nothing can be done to exit it. This was past the 7-day return/exchange policy of the store, so I had no choice but to bring the netbook back for repair even though I know that this would mean the erasure of all my precious files.

May 16, 2010 - 25 days after I bought it, I brought it back to TCA for repair. According to them, there was a problem on the motherboard of the laptop and they have to take it ASUS Service Center somewhere in QC or Mandaluyong. They said that it would take around 2 weeks for me to have the netbook back. I consented to this, because it seemed like I had no choice.

May 26, 2010 - I was called by TCA to pick up the "repaired" netbook. When I went to the store to picked it, I noticed that one of the features of the netbook was gone. The Expressgate function that comes with the netbook was not installed (this enables you to quickly start the laptop without going through windows, for instance you just want to use the internet for a while). They told me that I should just download it over the internet, free of charge. I consented to this (I know, I know, I should have protested but at this point in time, I was so eager to have my netbook back because I badly need it)

May 27, 2010 - I tried to download Expressgate but was taken aback because the file size is roughly 400mb, which is beyond the capacity of our internet. It would take ages for me to download this. Also, I noticed that the Windows installed on the netbook was not activated, and I cannot activate it as well. I was kinda busy so I had no time to get back to TCA and ASUS for these.

May 28, 2010 - I noticed something peculiar about the netbook while trying to register it to ASUS' website. It kept on prompting that I had the model wrong and that the netbook I have on hand is actually an ASUS EeePC 1001HAB model instead of 1005P. I was puzzled so I checked the specs of my netbook. To my surprise, instead of the lates Atom N450, the processor of the "repaired" laptop shows an Atom N280, which is an older version. I was outraged with TCA and ASUS because I felt that my rights were violated. TCA should have checked the specs before releasing it to me, and as for ASUS, need I say more? Anyway, I consented to another 1-2 weeks of repair period, with TCA and ASUS promising to fix everything. I also raised the issue of the unactivated Windows and uninstalled Expressgate.

June 10, 2010 - Almost 2 weeks after, I called TCA for an update because they were not contacting me AT ALL. They told me that they have the unit already and that all is well. I asked about the processor, Windows and Expressgate and they told me that indeed they were working fine. Afraid to waste my time, I asked the technician over the phone to check them one by one and dexcribe everything to me before I go and pick it up. All sounds good until I asked him to turn on the Expressgate. He had no idea what it was so I instructed him to just turn off the netbook and press the left boot button. He said it wasn't working. I went on about having told them to install it. Again, they said that they would contact ASUS to ask for the reason why it wasn't installed. At this point I'm already tired of hearing all their excuses especially given the fact that the netbook has been with them more than it has been with me. They promised to contact me the next day. That day is today and I haven't heard from them.