Sears - Sears Service Disaster

Company: Sears

Location: Sears Holding Corporation 3333 Beverly Road Hoffman Estates, IL 60179
Hoffman Estates, Il, 60179, US

URL: http://services.sears.com/repair/

I was scheduled to have a Sears service technician install a walking belt in my Proform treadmill that I had purchased in October 2006. I was told that the serviceman would arrive betweeem 8AM and 12noon, and that he would call the day before to confirm. No call was received the day before. At 10:15 AM on the day of service I received a call from the service technician advising that he was about 5 minutes away. I responded good, and advised him that I had the walking belt that needed to be installed . He seemed stunned to know that I had already ordered the belt .About fifteen minutes later the repairman called back, and said that he had reviewed my records and because my treadmill was about 10 years old it might be best for me to just purchase another treadmill. My treadmill will be four yeras old this October, and other than the torn belt it is in perfect condition. He then advised that to step foot in my home would be an automatic fee of $100, plus an addtional $250 to install the belt. When I inquired as to how difficult the belt installation could possibly be for a cost of $250, he repsonded not difficult at all, but I had to consider his truck, gas, etc. It was then that I realized the real issue- that instead of being able to bill first for a diagnostic call at $100, and then a return call at another $100 he would not get two visits to tell me what was obvious- the belt had completely torn in half after my son had accidentally tripped and got his foot caught in the belt which previously had a small tear caused by my cat. I am extremely diappointed in this apparent attempt to scam me out of addtional money, and that in my attempts to complain to Sears thus far I have only been able to speak to foreign customer sevice agents who because of language differences are not fully able to understand the issues, but merely respond with scripted rote answers.