SONY - SONY service contract scam

Product: VGN TT190 laptop computer

Company: SONY

Location: SONY Electronics, Inc. 16530 Via Esprillo
San Diego, CA, 92127, US

I wrote to SONY the following letter (below)on May 21, 2010; SONY called me by phone to acknowledge receipt of my letter but that it was out of their hands; and their sub-contractor, ServiceNet, was in charge here. I got nowhere calling the ServiceNet number (1-866-374-0134); and SONY was unable to provide me with a mailing address for ServiceNet.

Dear SONY,

Before I launch the story of my service contract experience to a wider audience, I need one point of clarification.

On April 27, 2010 the LCD on my SONY VGN-TT190 laptop computer began to malfunction. During telephone contact with Service Net I was given instructions for returning my unit for repair.

On May 3, 2010 I received telephone notice from Service Net that coverage under my Service Plan contract was denied, alleging that physical damage was the cause of the problem.

Due to the fact that my own photo-documentation shows no physical damage (no dents, no scratches, no cracks, no sign of physical damage), I requested an explanation.

I was told: Well, its INTERNAL; you cant actually SEE it. [i.e., physical damage is deemed to have occurred by the mere fact of the screen malfunction.]

So, what we have here is an allegation of physical damage in the objective absence of any sign of physical damage(!).

I was thus invited to pay $602 for a new LCD, as the only alternative to having my unit returned to me unrepaired.

Here is a story that might deserve a much wider audience, beyond the Consumer Affairs Division of the Attorney Generals office, beyond the FTC, beyond the Better Business Bureau. Is this the type of story that Consumer Reporters might call a scam?

But before going down that road, I am making the present inquiry in hope that an employee may have been hasty in denying my claim. I am given to believe that I paid $602 for a service that should have been covered in my Service Contract --- where there is no physical damage. Does SONY have some non-conventional definition of physical damage which includes instances when there is no evidence of visible damage?

Thanking you very kindly in advance for your speedy reply, I am

Sincerely,

53ffaef8, 2010-09-19, 09:54PM CDT

Have you asked to speak to a Supervisor to discuss it further- possibly have it re-dispatched out for a 2nd opinion?