Maytag/Whirlpool - Glass top stove

Posted on Wednesday, July 28th, 2010 at 11:12am CDT by 4f47b968

Product: Maytag

Company: Maytag/Whirlpool

I have owned a Maytag glass top for 6 years. In May 2010 while trying to boil water a switched burned out and caused a fire under the glass top. This in turn tripped the circuit breaker and filled my house with the smell of smoke. This experience was very scary. I called whirlpool and reported incident. As service repairman was sent and he replaced the switch that caused this problem and saw what the damage that happened. A few weeks later a crack appeared on the same side of the cook top where the defected switch was . I called Maytag to report this issue and have explained that we feel the heat of the flame under the glass top caused this crack which was not deep enough to have been seen during the time the repairman was here. Never ever had a problem with this cooktop until this fire happened. All Maytag has offered is 50% of new cooktop or 10% off new product. We are very unhappy with this offer and feel as though Maytag should have replaced this glass for the unit. A fire is a very serious issue and feel maytag is not standing by their product.

03501e57, 2012-03-20, 02:07PM CDT

I installed a Whirpool glass cooktop in 2003. In 2010,while boiling water, the glass cracked across the front corner. I replaced the entire unit since the glass was nearly the cost of a new unit. Today, 3/20/2012 the same thing happened. Nothing was dropped on the glass either time. Whirlpool gave me the same answer the first time. Needless to say, I won't be dealing with Whirlpool appliances again.

James Wright