Target - Target lost my check...now what!?

Posted on Monday, July 26th, 2010 at 3:15pm CDT by 5d8ecf79

Company: Target

Location: 2420 North Reserve Street
Missoula, MT, 59808-1317, US

I wrote a check at Target (2420 N Reserve St, Missoula, MT 59808, (406) 543-4000) on the 19th of June for $69.72. I gave it to the cashier; she ran it through the cash register- gave me a receipt- I left with my items and receipt- everything seemed to go smoothly. EXCEPT- the check was never presented to my bank account. When I was balancing my check book at the end of the month- I noticed that the Target check had not cleared- no transaction with that amount had been presented to my account. So I called the store- and of course was referred to various "customer service" 1 800 numbers. After spending upwards of 30 minutes explaining the story to several different ineffectual customer service representatives- I was told to call back in a few days and they would initiate "an investigation". When I called back- I was told that it was impossible to initiate an investigation because they don't have that capability. After several more phone calls over several more days- I was told that there was no record of my check in their system. All I had as proof of ever writing it was my duplicate check- as I had thrown out the receipt not thinking I would ever need it. After several time consuming and fruitless phone calls at the 1-800 level, I went down to the store asking to speak to a manager. I was told that the managers were unavailable and that there was nothing that could be done "at the store level" because so much time had passed. (Even though the "customer service" people were the ones that kept telling me to call back after a few days had passed- presumably waiting to see if the check would show up in the interim). At the store they were able to look up the receipt based on the information I gave them and it shows the amount, that I paid by check, and that it was authorized. I spoke with my bank and they recommended that I cancel the check and perhaps even change my bank account to a new account- as apparently it is possible to take a check (such as the one I wrote out) and "wash" it to reflect a new amount and new payee information. However- my bank charges a fee of $22 to cancel a check. I feel that Target should pay for that- however after several more phone calls and several more days- I have been informed that they will not pay, and have even been told that I should just "not worry" about it because I am coming out ahead having basically received $70 worth of "free" merchandise. I told them that I am happy to come to the store and pay them cash for the items if they will pay for my check to be cancelled- and was told that they "do not have that capability" and "besides it may have been your bank that lost it". Really? Don't you think if my bank lost it that Target would have some record of it in their system in some form or another? Anyway- if the only thing I was worried about was the $69.72 I wouldn't be ranting like a crazy person on this webpage. What concerns me is that now there is someone possibly in possession of my full name, address, phone number, driver's license, bank account number, and signature. Have they never heard of safeguarding personally identifiable information? And no one at Target seems to care in the least that they clearly have made one of their (used to be loyal) customers vulnerable to identity theft and or "check washing". Thanks for nothing Target- not only will I NEVER shop there again- but I will tell as many people as I can that your customer service STINKS!

c458eec9, 2011-01-27, 01:43PM CST

You got almost $70 worth of free merchandise and you're bitching about $22???..talk about S-T-U-P-I-D!! eat the $22, enjoy the free stuff and tell Target to kiss your stupid a**!