NET 10 AKA TRACFONE - NET 10 subscription warning

Posted on Thursday, July 15th, 2010 at 12:10pm CDT by 3c784c9c

Product: UNLIMITED PLAN

Company: NET 10 AKA TRACFONE

URL: http://www.net10.com/unlimited/

My husband decided since we have 2 young kids, I need a cell phone. The best option (we thought) was net 10 unlimited (which after the fact we find out is only sold at target, but not at our store and not available online). We purchased the exact same net10 samsung 401G phone from walmart after looking at the net10 unlimited site "activate" button that said something like activate an old net10 number on this phone/plan etc. and to call customer service.

What a pain! Call customer service and first get told (by someone who is quite hard to understand), yes your phone can be activated on the unlimited plan.

Great. How do I do that?

You purchase an airtime bundle for $50 and we'll do the rest.

Ok, I go look for an airtime bundle for $50 and can't find one which means it can't be done. After informing CS that they don't have ANY such bundle, she then informs me that my phone can't be upgraded/transferred to the unlimited since I didn't purchase from target (did I mention this takes upward of 40 mins with LOTS of "please wait while I verify your information" in between). So I ask to speak to a supervisor.

After another LONG wait on hold, I get a so-called supervisor who I suspect was a co-worker instead. Interestingly enough I have to verify all my details all over again after another 30+ mins I get told that no, I have to buy a net10 unlimited phone from target. I proceed to explain that MY target in MY area DOES NOT sell them and they can't be purchased online from target or net10. I ask to speak to someone higher, like the CEO or someone who is in charge of Net10 AMERICA (all I'm getting are foreigners in customer service). I get given an 800 number (like those can't be outsourced too).

Call the number and get told it's tracfone. ok, can I speak to someone in charge of net10.

Yes, I am that person.

OK, you make decisions regarding net 10?

ok. Give her my whole spiel about the phone and can I upgrade it.

No you can't because it needs to be purchased from target.

Why? It's just a matter of associating the correct serial number and sim card with the account, after all it's the same phone on the same network.

No she says, it's not an unlimited phone and it doesn't have the unlimited software installed.

Unlimited software????? Now there's a first. Every other network that does unlimited is easily able to upgrade from pre-paid to unlimited, why is this such a prob when its the same network???

It's not something she can explain. C

an I speak to the ceo?

no, she can't give out that info.

Can i speak to someone who makes decisions regarding net10?

no, I can't give you the info.

Can I speak to someone in America?

I am in miami, fl in the corporate headquaters.

Oh? What's the weather like in miami today?

I can't tell you that. I'm not near a window.

Yeah right, you're not in america. Anyone who is in a place would be able to tell you what the weather was like when they went to work that morning, or went to lunch. She's lying about her location and it becomes more and more obvious by her short 1 word answers that she does not like being found out., so, can you put me in touch with someone who makes the decisions regarding net10 so I can at least let them know this is NOt working for consumers and that if it doesn't work they lose money and customers which means less jobs in a recession which hello, means you could lose yours! And yes, please tell me you can't help me because you'd like a long term net 10 customer to go to anotehr network and lose their business forever and YES, I will tell everyone I know!

No, she says, I can't do that.

So I proceed to explain to her that the reason she can't upgrade my net10 prepaid to net10 unlimited has nothing to do with SOFTWARE, it has to do with the fact that net10 prepaid is serviced by at&t and net10 unlimited is serviced by tracfone and BOTH phones are network locked to THOSE networks. It has NOTHING at all to do with software, so basically don't bs me with some pre-prepared phrases.

I also proceeded to ask her for her US location, which, if you're working at corporate headquaters and going to work there everyday, you DO NOT need to pull the address up on your pc! I then proceeded to let her know that the reason she could not put me through to someone who had the power to change things and to actually help me (since she eventually admitted that she could not, even though she initially insisted she was "the" person to speak to) was that she WSA NOT located in the USA and the fact that she could NOT tell me what the weather in miami was like today proved it (I didn't get into I could hear you look up your so-called work address as well). I took the address and hung up.

Chances are the address is bogus too. So let us all ask ourselves, who owns net10 and tracfone. Why can we not find names and contact details for their CEO's and if not contact info at least legit contact info for am american in corporate headquaters- info that works in the USA and phones that ring in teh usa and get answered by americans or people actually living on US soil and does not get outsourced to a foreign country.

The next question is: are these even american companies and where is our money really going to? Maybe those great deals aren't so great after all. I sure as heck am going to try and get my $70+ back for the phone I purchased and go with a network that has good USA based custoemr service and where I can TRACK their ceo or ppl in management who are making the decisions that affect my life and cost me a TON of money!!!

3c784c9c, 2010-07-16, 04:38PM CDT

UPDATE ON ABOVE PROBLEM - Use net10's facebook page for customer services probs. They may not resolve the prob, but they make you feel like they're trying.

ee0645b3, 2012-02-03, 10:34PM CST

I TOTALLY AGREE I CANT GET AHOLD OF ANYONE ON PHONE WHEN I GO ONLINE THEY TELL ME WRONG ACCOUNT OR MY PHONE ISNT ACTIVE WHAT? BEEN USING FOREVER WE GET A 50.00 CARD ON 3RD OF EACH MONTH SO NOW I HAVE NO PHONE SEVICE AND CANT GET A HOLD OF ANYONE IM TRYING TO SEE IF I CAN USE MY MIN. ON DIFFERENT SERVICE IF NOT GETTING MONEY BACK TOMORROW AND GOODBYE TO NET10 AND ALL MY FRIENDS Are switching too.

9d18f6a7, 2013-06-30, 07:11PM CDT

just tried to fixed three of my net10 phones They did updates on there towers phones worked fine before they did this? Spent last four days on phone with customer service and managers I told them all my phones work fine in other towns and zip codes.

but my area were they did work on towers. They had me do a master reset on all phones NOW every thing on the phones are gone I cant believe this happened They need to throw away there cheat sheets and get real people in there....NOW they lost my bizz they are out 150 dollars a month I will tell every one what they did ,Some company have to learn the hard way people pay for service they want to use it IF you don't pay they shut the phone off if you need it fixed they will transfer your call to outer space.........