Archos - Archos overcharges to fix their defects!

Posted on Saturday, July 10th, 2010 at 4:06pm CDT by c987697c

Product: Archos 5 IMT with Android

Company: Archos

Location: 7951 E.Maplewood Avenue #260 Greenwood Village, CO 80111 UNITED STATES
Greenwood Village, CO, 80111, US

URL: http://www.archos.com

I owned my Archos 5 IMT for under a month, when the screen cracked in the corner during the application of a screen protector. I was using a light amount of pressure, just enough to smooth the screen protector. Other people have reported problems with their screens inexplicably cracking during normal use as well, however Archos customer service reported that such a defect was in fact "impossible", and these incidents don't happen. When I received the invoice for the repair estimate, Archos was going to bill me $285 to "repair" my otherwise in perfect condition device- A ridiculous fee, considering the same model is being sold brand new for $15 less than this so called "repair" charge. Refurbished units are sold in stores for much less. Archos was not willing to negotiate the price, or consider giving me a refurbished model, which would have been the reasonable response since the damage was related to their defective screen, and not any misuse on my part.