GE - GE Appliances SUCK!!

Posted on Tuesday, January 5th, 2010 at 9:45am CST by 8d4260a7

Product: GSL25JFTBS - Side By Side Refrigerator

Company: GE

URL: http://www.ge.com/

Before I start, I want to let everyone know that I THOUGHT I had done my research, but apparently not well enough. My husband and I purchased a brand new GE side-by-side refrigerator in July 2007. I checked reviews for the product online and looked for just the right model. Then we went to Home Depot and purchased the side-by-side model with clean steel and ice maker. We purposely bought an Energy Star model to reduce our electric bill. We did not buy the extended warranty, because who needs that for a refrigerator that should last at least 10 years for a cheap model. My parents bought a refrigerator when I was a kid that lasted for almost 20 years, and my grandmother had the same refrigerator for over 40. I registered the model with GE right away. Immediately I began receiving almost daily emails from GE urging me to purchase the extended warranty. We considered it, because it only has a one year warranty, but as I mentioned before it seemed like a waste of money. About 6 months ago I discovered why they push the warranty so hard. My 2 year old refrigerator began making a horrible alien sound. The sound has now progressed to include an interment grinding noise. Apparently, GE makes the refrigerators to last only as long as the warranty, because we believe the compressor is going out! Yes, you read that correctly!!! A two year old refrigerator is on its last leg. The best part is that our brand new GE dishwasher, which is less than 2 years old decided to die right before Thanksgiving!!! I will never purchase another GE appliance again. Thank God the new electric range is an LG!!!! I don't know how we are going to afford to purchase brand new appliances again. We saved to buy the ones we have now for a year! I guess GE is making a killing on their appliances, because they must have a very high profit margin with the shoddy craftsmanship and added bonus of extended warranty sales. All I have to say is stay away from GE Appliance and spend your money on an LG. So far, it is the only company I've had any luck with.

3dc9ae7c, 2010-06-30, 07:52AM CDT

Our model GSL25JFTBS makes the exact same noise -- it's less than 3 years old. The "alien" sound is like a howling noise... sort of like wind in a tunnel or something. Very loud and annoying and it gets louder and louder before quieting down. It only happens when the cooling fans are on. The ice maker makes a machine-gun sound too as it's filling with water. And, to top it all off, the button panel already has a hole in it where we push buttons. This thing is a piece of crap.

89ea3859, 2010-06-30, 07:53AM CDT