CenturyLink/EMBARQ - Poor customer service/ $99 early term fee for service that never worked

Posted on Tuesday, January 19th, 2010 at 1:28pm CST by db58da03

Product: DSL

Company: CenturyLink/EMBARQ

URL: http://www.centurylink.com/residential/

I signed up for DSL service, clearly indicating that I wanted wireless internet for my 1 laptop computer. It turns out that I can't get wireless internet without another computer hooked up in a corded fashion. So, I never got the wireless internet I thought I signed up for. In addition,because of the DSL connection over the phone lines, one or more of my phones had a constant "click, click, click" noise making it difficult to have phone conversations and to hear messages left on my machine. The first time I called to have someone come and check the line, the person at CenturyLink was incredibly short with me, rude and argumentative. In addition, the repair person showed up at the wrong time (four hours early) and complained that he had gotten lost for an hour and that I had not answered any of his 8 calls trying to find my home. (I could not answer the phone but I did have to deal with the incessant phone calling). He determined that the problem was the absence of filters on the lines and once installed, was sure the problem would be fixed. Needless to say, although he fixed a couple of the phones, another phone started clicking. I quickly realized that I had made a HUGE mistake in trying to get internet through CenturyLink and I decided I would cancel the internet after I had some renovations done on my apartment over the New Year. Then I would be able to take care of everything in one fell swoop. Needless to say, I now have to pay a $99 early termination fee for a service that never worked the way I was told it would (wireless). Is $99 SO important to them that they are wiling to completely alienate a customer. I plan to tell EVERYONE I know how miserable the service at CenturyLink/ EMBARQ truly is. I am totally baffled by the experience and I plan to spread the word about the treatment I have received.