Mexicana Airlines - My experience with Mexicana de Aviacion

Location: Several offices in CA
SAN FRANCISCO, CA, US

URL: http://www.mexicana.com/

Category: Airlines

Please notice that I tried to resolve this with Mexicana on 3 different occasions before posting this complaint. I sent emails to their customer support website but they never replied to any of my messages. (Mexicana complaint # 106958

My experience with Mexicana de Airlines:

In August of this year, I purchased 2 round trip tickets to travel with my wife from San Francisco, California to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico in September of 2009. Unfortunately, the city of Cabo San Lucas was hit by a hurricane the same week we were slated to travel and our flight was cancelled.

After numerous phone calls and being on hold for significant amounts of time for each call, Mexicana informed us that although no refund was available, we would receive a credit to take another flight (which included a variety of destinations in Mexico) to be used within 6 months. At that point, I was satisfied with the option I received. However, that same night I called Mexicana and told them that I wanted to use that credit for a flight to Cancun for the same dates of our original trip in September as both my wife and I had already scheduled our vacation. The rates on Mexicana's website for flights to Cancun were somewhat similar to the cost of the tickets to Cabo San Lucas. However, to my surprise, when talking to a Mexicana agent I was informed that the difference I needed to pay to get those tickets using the credit I had received was almost $900 per ticket, not only double as much as I had paid originally for the flight to Cabo San Lucas, but also $400 more per ticket than was shown on Mexicana's own website! And yet because the credit issued to purchase another ticket had to be done with an agent over the phone, I could not access those cheaper fares online! The explanation I got was that those rates were only internet ratesand were not available to access with a credit.In other words, Mexicana was saying, we give you a credit for your trip that was cancelled due to a natural disaster in Cabo San Lucas, but that doesnt mean you can actually use that credit.

Since I knew I was traveling to Puerto Vallarta with my wife again in November 2009, I decided to go ahead and pay for the full tickets to Cancun and use the credit to flight from San Francisco to Puerto Vallarta in November. At that point I was informed that the tickets to Puerto Vallarta were the equivalent of what I paid to Cabo San Lucas originally, so I could use my original credit which I did. I got a new reservation code from Mexicana and reserved my flights to Puerto Vallarta. I was fairly satisfied again.

A week before my trip to Puerto Vallarta in November, I went online and confirmed that we were scheduled to fly on November 25th and everything looked good. On the day of our departure I arrived 2 hours early to Mexicana counter at SFO. To my surprise, the lady at the counter told me that we were scheduled on the flight but that we were not confirmed. She explained to me that the Mexicana agent who got me the new itinerary and credited my flights must have never linked the new reservation with the actual flights. In other words, we were confirmed on the flight, but it showed that the tickets were not paid!

I was shocked when the manager at the counter, although recognizing that the mistake came from the Mexicana employee who made the reservation, told me that there was nothing she could do unless I paid a difference of $1,200. I asked to speak to her supervisor or a manager, but everything was futile, as ultimately she had the last word. At that point my flight was about to leave as we had spent approximately 1.5 hours with the employees of Mexicana trying to just leave for our vacation. They knew that time was not on our side, and if we didn???t pay yet again there was nothing that the Mexicana agents would do for us. I decided to pay the difference rather than have Mexicana ruin my trip yet again. What this means is that I had paid almost $3,500 for 2 economy tickets to Cancun and Puerto Vallarta that at the most would cost $1,600 if purchased & reserved with anticipation, as we had done.

Unfortunately the story didn???t end there. Once we arrived to Puerto Vallarta, we noticed that our bags did not made it with us. There we were, starting our vacation without our clothes, personal items and a prescription medication. Of course when I inquired at the Mexicana counter as to what our choices were, the only answer was to wait.I called several times our first night of vacation to see if our bags had arrived and yet no information could be provided to us. Finally, the bags arrived the next day, almost 24 hours later.

To end the experience with Mexicana, on Sunday, Nov 29, when we were returning to San Francisco from the Puerto Vallarta airport, and again checking in more than 2 hours prior to the flight, we were told that my wife and I had separate seats. The reason they gave us was that the plain was full. What an unforeseeable event! At that point, we did not complain, we were happy just to be on the flight at all.