Dish Network - Dish Network is using deceptive tactics to lure customers into 2 year contracts.

Posted on Monday, January 18th, 2010 at 6:39pm CST by 8cacf728

Product: Satellite TV

Company: Dish Network

Location: CO, US

URL: http://www.dishnetwork.com/

I was contacted for a free DVR upgrade, that would also grant me a $10 reduction in my bill over 3 months.

Nowhere was it expressed that this meant that I would be enlisted into a 2 year contract under threat of a $300 penalty if I were to cancel it.

I had no previous contract with Dish, just a month to month agreement, and was actively looking into a better, more competitive ATT solution. I am now deprived of my consumer freedom of choice of service for 2 years. (This was not an installation, just a simple DVR unit upgrade).

Many calls to Dish Network resulted in concerned representatives expressing apologies, but not able to void the contract, even when I had called within 24 hrs of the upgrade for the first complaint.

The upgrade was useless since the installer didn't want to install the DVR on the only Digital TV. My consumer rights have been taken away as I am reluctantly locked in a 2 years contract with a $300 cancelation penalty.

You can read similar stories on many web site. This is a widespread campaign of deception and abuse by Dish Network. This anti-competitive and anti-consumer behavior will continue until stricter rules on oversight of Cable/TV providers are passed.