GENERAC POWER SYSTEMS, INC - GENERAC WHOLE HOUSE GENERATOR

Company: GENERAC POWER SYSTEMS, INC

Location: HWY 59 & HILLSIDE RD
WAUKESHA, WI, 53187, US

URL: http://www.generac.com/Residential/Quietsource/QuietSource_Series/

IN JUNE OF 2006, I BOUGHT A WHOLE HOUSE GENERATOR UNIT MANUFACTURED BY GENERAC, FROM JIM REISNER ELECTRIC IN STUART, FLORIDA FOR $25,000. IT WAS "TOUTED" AS BEING PERFECT FOR SALT WATER ENVIRONMENTS IN THEIR LITERATURE. REISNER HAS SERVICED THE UNIT ROUTINELY SINCE THE INSTALLATION. WE NOTICED THE BASE WAS RUSTING BADLY SHORTLY AFTER INSTALLATION, AND JIM TALKED TO GENERAC ABOUT THAT SEVERAL TIMES OVER THE YEARS, TO NO AVAIL. LAST WEEK, DURING A ROUTINE MAINTENANCE SESSION I ASKED THE TECHNICIAN TO OPEN UP THE EXHAUST AREA PANEL AS THERE WERE RUST STAINS COMING FROM THE LOUVERS.

I WAS HORRIFIED WHEN WE DISCOVERED THE CONDITION INSIDE: THE ENTIRE STEEL FRAMEWORK WAS RUSTED TO THE POINT WHERE YOU COULD PULL PIECES OF IT OFF. THE BEARING BLOCK THAT HOLDS THE FAN BLADE IS SO DETERIORATED THAT IT IS A SAFETY HAZARD, IT WILL SURELY BREAK LOOSE DURING ONE OF THE WEEKLY AUTOMATIC RUNS. I HAVE LOTS OF PICTURES FROM NOW AND YEARS AGO DOCUMENTING THE RUST PROBLEM; SENT THEM TO GENERAC LAST WEEK AND THEY HAVE INFORMED ME THAT THEY WILL NOT HELP REPAIR OR REPLACE THIS OBVIOUSLY DEFECTIVE MACHINE. THE GENERATOR HAS 99 HOURS RUNNING TIME ON IT. EVERYTHING ABOUT IT IS FINE EXCEPT FOR THE STEEL FRAMEWORK WHICH THEY REFUSE TO STAND BEHIND.

WE ARE ABOUT 2 MILES FROM THE OCEAN, ON THE ST. LUCIE RIVER. THERE ARE 4 11 YEAR OLD A.C. UNITS CLOSER TO THE WATER THAN THE GENERATOR THAT ARE IN FINE SHAPE.

94bd6539, 2011-05-23, 07:18PM CDT

PLEASE DON'T THINK YOU ARE ALONE WITH THIS PROBLEM. I SENT AN E-MAIL TO GENERAC BECAUSE I WAS ADVISED BY THE COMPANY THAT SOLD ME THE GENERATOR TO PURCHASE AN ALUMINUM ENCLOSURE FOR THE GENERATOR BECAUSE OF THE FLORIDA ENVIRONMENT. I DID THIS AND THE ALUMINUM ENCLOSURE IS PERFECT. HOWEVER, IT LOOKS LIKE THE STEEL BASE WILL EVENTUALLY FAIL BECAUSE THERE IS RUST AND CORROSION AT MANY STRATEGIC LOCATIONS ON THE BASE. GENERAC'S ADVICE FOR ME WAS TO PURCHASE A NEW STEEL BASE AND/OR TRY ANOTHER DEALER FOR PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE SUGGESTIONS. I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT THIS IS THE BEST ADVICE I CAN GET FOR AN AMERICAN MADE PRODUCT.

GENERAC DID SAY THAT AN ALUMINUM BASE WOULD NOT BE STRONG ENOUGH TO SUPPORT THE GENERATOR. THIS IS INTERESTING BECAUSE MY DEALER WANTS TO REPLACE MY STEEL BASE WITH AN ALUMINUM BASE TO PREVENT A POSSIBLE FUTURE FAILURE WITH MY GENERATOR.

SO, GENERAC IS NOT MUCH HELP WITH THE RUSTING STEEL BASE. I PLAN TO GO AHEAD AND REPLACE MY STEEL BASE WITH AN ALUMINUM BASE VERY SOON. I WILL TRY TO GET A WARRANTY FOR THE NEW BASE. I HAVE SEEN PICTURES OF THE ALUMINUM BASE AND IT LOOKS QUITE STURDY.

I PURCHASED MY GENERATOR IN APRIL OF 2007 SO THE CORROSION I SEE MAY GET AS BAD AS WHAT YOU ARE EXPERIENCING WITHIN THE NEXT YEAR IF I DON'T CHANGE THE BASE.

THIS COULD BE A QUALITY CONTROL ISSUE WITH THE STEEL BASE MANUFACTURING PROCESS OR THE PAINTING PROCESS. I DON'T KNOW, AND GENERAC DOES NOT SEEM TO CARE.

1024e4b8, 2011-06-01, 03:16PM CDT

In 2005 hurricane Rita came through this area and we were without power for several days. The next year I purchased from Home Depot a back-up generator and had it installed through a local contractor. It has only been used once or twice but each time operated flawlessly. The problem: The metal shell or casing is rusting very badly. One whole sid of the unit is bubbled and flaking. Soon it will be rusted completely through. I'm surprised and very disappointed that in five years the unit had deteriorated as it has. I would like to know if this is a common issue, and if there are any suggestions of replacement components available.

c0013b58, 2013-05-15, 04:28PM CDT

Generator Base rusting out? Replace with All Aluminum Americast Base: Cost $400.00 Contact Americast: Google: "Americast Pad"