Charter Communications - Charter Communications Runaround... and around... and around

Posted on Sunday, February 7th, 2010 at 4:49pm CST by cd0289db

Company: Charter Communications

1/25/10

I called the number on CharterSpecialDeals.com (or something like that) and talked to operator #1 for 45 minutes. The outcome of that call was this: I was told I would not need a modem, I would need to buy a wireless router (or lease one from Charter), my high-speed internet and cable with extended channels like MTV would be $39.98 for 6 months with no contract, and that I will need to pay a one-time processing fee of $9.95- it was immediately charged to my Visa card. Also, our installation fee for 3 TVs would be $29.99, payable with our first bill. I believe I was talking to a company hired to take orders for Charter and the operator I talked to repeated the same information and phrases to me over and over and didnt seem to listen very well to my questions (or speak English well for that matter.) I went and spent $70 at Wal-Mart on a wireless router. I received the following e-mail shortly after:

Your Order Placed On : 1/25/2010 3:10:19 PM(ET)

Customer Information

City:

Zip Code:

Charter - STATUS - Success

Confirmation No. - 555555555555555555

Item Name Item Qty Item Price (Each)

Cable TV and High Speed Internet with speeds up to 5Mbps for $39.98 a month for 6 months! 1 $39.98/Mo

Cable Modem 1 FREE

Self Installation, High Speed Internet 1 FREE

CHRTR Processing Fee 1 $9.99/Once

1/26/10

Received 1 call saying the charter technician would be arriving at 10-12p (scheduled time) and then another later saying they would arrive from 1-3. I cancelled the appointment because I had to go to work and said I would call again soon to reschedule at my convenience.

1/30/ 10

I called 1-888-438-2427 to re-schedule this time for a different address 1 mile away -as we had an opportunity to move to a remodeled house. I was told that the same promotion of $39.98/mo for 6 months was available at this new address. I was told that the installation fee would be $49.99 plus $9.99 for our 3rd TV. Operator #2 said because you were quoted $29.99 before, Ill knock off that extra $9.99. I was also told we had to either buy a modem or lease one for $5/mo. We went out and bought one for $100 at Best Buy. I received the following e-mail shortly after:

Dear Kacey,

Congratulations on your recent Charter Communications order. We look forward to providing you the exceptional services that will connect you to a world of entertainment, information and communication with your family and friends. We help bring your home to life! This e-mail serves as confirmation of your recent order and appointment arrival window.

ORDER CONFIRMATION

Installation Details:

Charter Cable

Charter High-Speed Internet

2/3/10

The installation technician arrives. I was told by the technician that since we didnt have existing outlets in the house that we need a release from our landlord to install the cable. I think that might have been a nice detail for the operators on the phone to mention when I made the appointment! My landlord lives in another state. (Also, he told me that we were only getting channels 2-27. NOT MTV and extended channels that we were told by operator #1 on 1/30/10.) The technician said we would need to call and schedule another appointment when we had the form. My boyfriend called a few hours later and asked what kind of notice Charter needs from our landlord. They told him only written notice, there is no specific form. He contacted our landlord and got a written statement from our saying I give 55555 and Kacey 55555 permission to install Charter cable.

2/4/10

SYSTEM:

Attempting to connect you with an operator...

SYSTEM:

Ruben has entered the conversation.

Ruben:

Hello, Bundle and Save with the Charter Triple Play! It includes Digital Cable, High Speed Internet and Digital Phone.

Ruben:

Hello and how may I help you today?

Kacey:

Hello ruben. I'm hoping you can help me. I apologize in advance that you're the one stuck talking to me because I'm pretty frustrated tonight, but hopefully we can get things worked out.

Ruben:

I am happy to help you with that.

Ruben:

To assist you further, May I have your complete address?

5555 5th Ave. Rochester, MN 55905

Ruben:

May I know what services do you currently have with us ?

Kacey:

nothing. That's what I need your help with.

Ruben:

May I know are you looking to setup new service with us?

Kacey:

Last week I talked to a charter employee and was told that I had the 39.99 cableTV and high-speed internet bundle available in my area. I was also told that there would be a 29.99 installation fee for my 3 TVs. I was also charged 9.95 processing fee. I had to reschedule the appointment and ,when I called to do so ,was told by another employee that I would be charged 49.99 for installation.

Kacey:

I was told the soonest appointment was a week away, which I took.

Ruben:

Do you have order confirmation number with you?

Kacey:

When the technician showed up he told me he couldn't set up service for us because we didn't have existing outlets in our house (which is why I called him, I thought) and because we are renting.

Kacey:

No, I don't have an order confirmation number.

Ruben:

Thank you. Please hold one moment while I confirm services in your area.

Ruben:

Great news, Special offers are available in your area! May I have my specialist contact you with the special offer details?

Ruben:

May I please have the best number to reach you?

Kacey:

No. I'm upset and I'm trying to tell you the problem, but Im getting the sense there's no real person on the other end of this chat.

Ruben:

Kacey , you are dealing with real person called Ruben Taylor.

Ruben:

My specialist is the right person to go over the details and answer all your questions in better way.

Kacey:

Then may I please have the direct number and name for your specialist?

Ruben:

One moment while I check that for you.

1-866-740-4703

Extension? and name?

Ruben:

One of my specialist will assist you.

This is direct number.

It is not , i'm sorry

Ruben:

This is the another number I can provide you now 1-866-863-6121.

Ruben:

Its been a pleasure being able to assist you today. Thank you for visiting and have a wonderful day.

SYSTEM:

Ruben has left the conversation.

SYSTEM:

All operators have left the conversation. Conversation has ended!

I called the first number and explained the situation. I was promised by operator #3 that by the time I hung up the phone my problem would be solved and I would have my cable and internet. I asked her to confirm that I would be getting extended channels, specifically MTV and channels like that. She said, yes, youll have MTV. I was also told that they wouldnt make me pay the processing fee a second time because I already paid them. 45 minutes later I was transferred to an installation department only to be told they are COMCAST installation department and they do not have anything to do with Charter. Yet, they were surprisingly wonderful to deal with and expressed great apology over my situation even though they couldnt help me. I had to hang up with NOTHING ACCOMPLISHED. 45 MINUTES!!!!!

THEN, on my Yahoo e-mail at 8:02pm:

Your Order Placed On : 2/4/2010 9:02:00 PM(ET)

Customer Information

State:

Zip Code: 0

Charter - STATUS - Success

Confirmation No. - 55555555555555555555555

Item Name Item Qty Item Price (Each)

TV & HSI Express-$39.98/mo for 6 mos! 1 $39.98/Mo

I did a search of other internet services on my area and was eerily re-directed to Charters website. Where I did FINALLY find the listing of exactly WHAT CHANNELS I can expect to get with what service. NOT MTV as I was promised TWICE:

0 TV Guide Interactive Interactive Services

69 CNN Exp Basic

70 HLN Exp Basic

71 CNBC Exp Basic

76 MTV2 Exp Basic

So at this point, its been several tries, several different quotes, Ive been charged a $9.95 processing fee for service I never got, AND now we own a $70 wireless router, and a $100 modem that we havent had a need for yet.

10:14pm: I tried again with the online chat:

Thank you for choosing Charter Chat Live! A Customer Care representative from General Sales Inquiries will be with you shortly.

You have been connected to DAC Lance .

DAC Lance : Hello, this is Lance with Charter communications, how may I help you today?

Kacey: May I please have the address for customer complaints? Either e-mail or US mail?

DAC Lance : You would be able to contact the telephone number at 1 888 438 2427, They'll be able to get you to complaints.

Kacey: Actually, I'd really like to have an e-mail or US mail address please, I've already spoken to several agents over the phone today and they weren't able to help me.

DAC Lance : Unfortunately, I do not have that information. Would you like for me to get you to a higher level rep?

Kacey: Yes, please. Thank you

DAC Lance has left the session.

Please wait while we find an agent from the CHAT - MDVL - RETENTION department to assist you.

An agent will be with you in a moment. Thank you for your patience.

(10:30 PM:) while I was on hold waiting for my chat agent to get back to me, I called the phone number they referred me to above. I finally was connected with an agent and asked them for the address for customer complaints. He said, wow, Ive actually never been asked this before. Ill have to go find someone, please hold. When he returned he said hed really like to handle this over the phone, but I repeated that Id just like the address, please. It took him another try, but he finally found a supervisor that gave him the address. He asked once more for the nature of my problem and if he could please handle it ( I sensed he was under pressure from the supervisor as his tone had changed from friendly to forceful), but I said no, and thank you- goodnight. This was the address he gave me:

Charter Communications

Attention: Customer Complaint

941 Charter Commons Drive

Town & Country, MO 63017

Back to the chat:

You have been connected to TTM Marian .

TTM Marian : Hello, my name is Marian. Welcome to Charter. One moment please while I read the chat notes.

TTM Marian : I can certainly understand your concerns about contacting Charter. I would be more than happy to help you with it.

TTM Marian : Saint Louis Corporate Address is:

12405 Powerscourt Drive

Saint Louis, MO 63131

TTM Marian : Charter Communications

Attention: Customer Complaint

941 Charter Commons Drive

Town & Country, MO 63017

It takes 7 to 10 days to receive your letter and from there it takes 5 to 7 business days to respond to your complaint. This for phone service complaints only.

TTM Marian : We also have corporate information on our website.

Kacey: Where on your website?

TTM Marian : I can also take your comments, I am a supervisor in chat.

TTM Marian : One moment.

TTM Marian : http://www.charter.com/Customers/ContactUs.aspx

TTM Marian : At the top of any page, there is a contact us link and you can then click on the information you need, such as corporate.

Kacey: Thank you

TTM Marian : I would be more than happy to help you. I'm sorry you've had problems with agents earlier today.

Kacey: Thank you for your help. That's all I need today. Have a good night

TTM Marian : You're welcome!

TTM Marian : Thank you for using Charter Communications' Chat Support. You can find answers to frequently asked questions and self help options in the 'support' menu at www.charter.com. If you have any concerns or need additional assistance, please do not hesitate to initiate a new chat session.

I have looked high and low for service offerings in my area and my options for internet are this:

1. Qwest internet- not fast enough to play online games or watch videos.

2. Dial-up

3. Charter

My options for TV are this:

1. Direct TV

2. Charter

Charter has the corner on this market in Rochester, yet given all of the run-around Ive been given I would rather drive to the public library and use their internet and pay twice the price for Direct TV than be lied to once again from a Charter agent. I started my mission to get service from Charter 13 days ago and today Im no closer to having anything installed in my house, I own a modem and router I dont need, and Ive been charged $9.95 for 2 e-mails confirming my non-existent order. Either I start from square one with another phonecall to another agent-risking that I might be mis-informed yet again, or I accept that Ive wasted enough time and money with this company. Im hoping this letter will help others make an informed decision when debating what service will really SERVE them. If you want to hear others experiences as well, I found this website very informative: http://www.complaints.com/2006/november/28/Charter_Communications_Complaint_-_Charter_SUCKS_13365.htm

5bc6428e, 2011-03-19, 11:57PM CDT

I was on line trying to obtain information on how I could transer contacts from charter to Microsoft office word and after a wait I was disconected. I then called and spoke to a agent and asked her ths same question and she said that it could not be done.

I then went to Microsoft and was told of how to accomplish this. Well I could say something nasty for the time wasted lack of knowledge or training of the agent I spoke to on the phone. but suffice it to say you have my point